Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Compound for first doe then Trad
21.74%
Compound for 2 does then Trad
17.39%
Cmpound for 3 does then Trad for bucks
26.09%
Trad all the way
34.78%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Help me decide, Trad or compound.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Help me decide, Trad or compound.

I spoke to the landowner of my lease last night. He asked me to kill all the does I can.3 is the legal limit. I have never tagged out on does, not enough freezer space, and I can only kill does during archery season. Once general season starts does are illegal.
Here is the question, should I hunt with the compound and increase my odds of killing does and hold off on the recurve? I was really looking forward to hunting trad this year, however, I want to keep the landowner happy.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:51 AM

Default RE: Help me decide, Trad or compound.

depends on how good you are with the stick bow

Keep the landowner happy and take whichever bow you are better with for the first 2, then switch to the traditional.

I'm trying traditional this year too. 52 lb Don Dow Longbow
Old 09-25-2007, 05:51 AM
Dominant Buck

greg:

I love my new longbow.....and MY goal is to become proficient with it.....and hunt the entire '08 season with it. Thats the goal, right now.

I've got a couple more things I want to do with the compound......and then it'll be trad gear for me, hopefully...exclusively (for one season). It's something I want to do. I'm SURE there will be times next year when I take the compound.....but the first time I saw a traditional arrow fly true........I knew I'd never be (personally) satisfied as an archer until I took a deer with the longbow.

Just wake up and take whichever one feels right. GREAT problem to have.....if you asked me.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

If the landowner is wanting does gone, then do what you gotta do to get 'em. If the landowner ain't happy, you ain't gonna be happy. If you can't tag your limit with the stickbow, he'll find someone else who'll get it done and leave you out in the cold.

We're talking population control here, not sport hunting. So, I'd use the wheelie bow for the does then grab the stickbow for the bucks.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:06 AM

I say stick 3 does with the compound to keep the generous man who is letting you onto his property. After that, whip out the recurve and let the fun begin while you chase down a trophy buck!
Old 09-25-2007, 06:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Since all my energy goes into traditional all year long, I put traditional. If I shot compound, it would only be a distraction. JMHO
Old 09-25-2007, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I put trad because I think you should take the first doe with trad and then decide whether to take the rest with compound or trad.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

I would start off with the traditional bow and shoot what ever you want.

When you get down to the last week or two I would switch over tothe wheel bow.

If the property has a doe population problem it should not be to hard to get however many you need to limit out.

IMHO
Old 09-25-2007, 02:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Greg, I voted 1st one compound and then traditional ..... if you need some help makin the landowner happy, let me know
Old 09-25-2007, 02:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Just wake up and take whichever one feels right. GREAT problem to have.....if you asked me.
That is probably the way it will go on Saturday A.M. I'll have both ready to go and grab what feels right!

Quick Reply: Help me decide, Trad or compound.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.