Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Carbon Arrows vs Aluminum

Old 01-10-2003, 10:27 PM

Default Carbon Arrows vs Aluminum

People keep saying to me I should try carbon arrows. I have been using aluminum since I started bowhunting. Is there a big advantage that I don't seem to know about or is it just preference? I have two bows an older Golden Eagle that I use for CCOLD weather hunting and a Browning that I use when it is warmer than 30 degrees. I have killed deer with both bows in all kinds of weather.

I've been told I would have better penetration with the carbon..faster speed..but I never counted on speed to kill. I have always relied on accuracy,practice, sharp 2 bladed broadheads, and a bow setup with enough weight for a clean kill. I have 2 deer from Mich this year and 3 from Ohio. I would appreciate any thoughts or comments. I know I dont know all the aanswers but my setups have been working great for me.
Old 01-11-2003, 12:48 AM

Default RE: Carbon Arrows vs Aluminum

Both types of arrows have there advantages and disadvantages. Aluminums are usually straighter and more forgiving in accuracy. There are less durable. Carbons, are not as straight but were talking thousandths of an inch, they are faster, and they are much stronger. Speed is not a primary concern. Yes, a little speed can help, but it doesnt matter how fast the arrow goes past the deer. As for the penetration, the diameter of carbons is smaller which helps it but the aluminums, since in most cases are heavier, pack more punch down range. Carbons also cover a wider variety of spine for your bow. You dont have to buy a new arrow for every couple of pounds gained like you do with carbons. I currently shoot carbons. I really like them. However, i shot aluminums for a long time, and still like them. Im one of those guys that is always changin stuff just to have somethin to tinker with. The last choice is yours, but hopefully this small bit of info will help.
Old 01-11-2003, 01:16 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-11-2003, 07:51 AM
Typical Buck

I switched from aluminum to carbons because of durability, aluminums were always bending or breaking when stump shooting. If all I did was shoot into targets for practice I would probably still be shooting aluminum. I've always said if it ai'nt broke do'nt fix it. In my case I switched for a reason not because everyone else did. Since the change though I must say I would'nt go back. I currently shoot beman 400 ics with inserts inside shaft for more arrow weight, aprox. 480grn at 74lb 3 blade muzzys. elknut1

www.elknut.com
Bugling Bulls & Beyond!
Old 01-11-2003, 07:52 AM
Spike

I've shot aluminum arrows for years, but I've also started using a attached quiver on my bow and find that the arrows get alot of abuse. I spine my arrows on a weekly basis and after my last hunt I had 3 out of the 5 arrows in my quiver that would not spine. After going to www.bowjakson.com and using the FOC tool they have on their web site, I am going to try to shoot carbon arrows next season, due to the XX78 2413s with 100 grn broadheads only weight 460 grns and Gold tip 7595s with 125 grn broadheads weight 430 grns. I will lose only 30 grns of weight switching and will have the durablity of the carbon arrow.

RobinHood>>>>--------->
Old 01-11-2003, 08:07 AM

Thanks for all the info. I should have put this in my original post. My buddy has a dozen that will work for my setup. So I think I will tune my bow with these today and see if I can try them on a deer. We have until Jan 31 in Ohio so I think a full field test is in order.
Old 01-11-2003, 09:05 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I've been told I would have better penetration with the carbon..faster speed..but I never counted on speed to kill. I have always relied on accuracy,practice, sharp 2 bladed broadheads, and a bow setup with enough weight for a clean kill. I have 2 deer from Mich this year and 3 from Ohio. I would appreciate any thoughts or comments. I know I dont know all the aanswers but my setups have been working great for me.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

You have it exactly right, of course, sharp, accurate, enough bow.

Lighter arrows decrease penetration on deer - although with most setups with most hits we get pass throughs regardless, of course. So don't switch to carbons for penetration, if you switch, do it because you feel you have more penetration than you need and are willing to sacrifice a little penetration for a little flatter trajectory.

beprepn
Old 01-12-2003, 08:23 PM

I setup one of my bows to shoot the carbon arrows. I noticed it is shooting flatter than the aluminum. I have 2 pins one at 15 one at 30 yards. I might even remove my second pin because the way my stands are setup my furthest shot is 22 yards and I was hitting the killzone in our 3d setup using just the 15 yard pin. I tried to field test it today but the deer didnt co-operate.
I had one other question. If you hit bone will a carbon shatter? I was told this but I hit a tree practicing and it buried the broadhead but no damage to the arrow. I have shot deer in the spine with no damage and assume this would be true witha carbon arrow.
Old 01-13-2003, 06:45 AM
Who
Nontypical Buck

RH, I tried using the link but it does not seem to work. Can you check it and repoast if needed?
Thanks,
Rick

Lifes not about knowing the answers, its about asking the questions.
Old 01-13-2003, 01:03 PM
Typical Buck

Rick,

RH left the c out,

www.bowjackson.com

Quick Reply: Carbon Arrows vs Aluminum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.