Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bigger bait piles

Old 09-24-2007, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bigger bait piles

Deer love apples and if you want to see deer, apples will work. However, the "big boys" tend to be too smart to visit bait piles in the daylight. They don't get old by being dumb.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:15 PM

I started as a Jr. Baiter took me a while to get to be a master baitr.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:24 PM

ORIGINAL: huntingson

Deer love apples and if you want to see deer, apples will work. However, the "big boys" tend to be too smart to visit bait piles in the daylight. They don't get old by being dumb.
if they are on their way to the pile to get there after dark, i could prob catch them on the way during daylight i would think. i know alot of people on here dont believe in baitpiles, but i gotta do what i gotta do to get them over here BEFORE the rut starts
Old 09-24-2007, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunt them the way you want to.Deer love sweet stuff.Put some pears down and get ready.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

can you hunt over bait in your state cuz in ga you cant be within 200 yars of it. not even a bird feeder
ORIGINAL: TommyGunn

i dont plan on hunting the pile. i just want to get them to the area and sit about 75yd away from the pile in the direction they will be comeing from
Old 09-24-2007, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TommyGunn

well i hate to have to do this, but corn just aint cuttin it to get these deerto come into where i can hunt. so i was thinking more corn mixed w/ apples, potatos, corn on cobs, grapes, salt licks, minerial licks and the deer cain stuff all in one big area. it would be like a deer buffet. whatcha think? will the big boys like it?
You should PM Tristatehunter. He's been doing it so long I think he's a master baiter.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nevermind...
Old 09-24-2007, 05:45 PM

I think it depends on a lot of vaiables.......food availability, your deer population, the time of year, the area..........I've got one lease I bait with corn, it usually works well despite the amount put out until the acorns drop, then the deer ignore it till the acorns go wormy. I've got another place and it's the same except that when they start hitting the corn again it's always at night (maybe because of the distance of the bedding areas, the hunting pressure, or influence of a dominate doe or buck). I've got a bud that baits behind his house and the population is so large and the food so scarce that they always come during daylight, especially when it's cold.