Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Something you've probably NEVER thought from stand...

Old 09-24-2007, 12:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Something you've probably NEVER thought from stand...

The Unit I hunt here in Wisconsin is a Herd Reduction Zone, you get 2 with your Archery license and then $2.00 antlerless tags until they sell out, which they don't.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate

I don't think that's weird. I also think it is pretty cool when you see a deer that you know you're not going to shoot at. No pressure, just sit back and watch, and enjoy.
Yeah, i agree.

There have been days when i was hoping that when i saw a deer it was a doe. Nothings better than watching deer work around your stand clueless to your pressence
Old 09-24-2007, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

i agree with the squirrel commenti am excited to see anydeerwhenever i see a deer coming im normally thinking to myself dont screw this up you big dummy
Old 09-24-2007, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

GMMAT I think the exact same thing. I have a thing for old mature Does![8D][8D][8D] I kinda go hunting for Does and if a Buck happens by, bonus!
Same here.

Tom
Old 09-24-2007, 12:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Same here...Last Saturday, I saw 10 deer, 4 were smaller bucks, I let them pass to shoot a doe...Here in Piedmont NC we can kill 2 bucks, rest have to be does...
I did kill a doe that evening so I guess that's why they have it that way...
Old 09-24-2007, 02:28 PM
OGW

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I catch myself.....now....when I see a deer approaching.....thinking....."I hope it's a doe".

Granted....I can already tell by the body size....that it's NOT a buck I'm interested in.....and I am targeting does (and not young bucks). I'd rather have a deer I'm actually interested in taking come in.....so that's what I've caught myself thinking as of late.

Weird, huh?.....
Nope...Not weird at all!
My hope this year is to take "Lame Foot"...a Doe I named that I've been catching on my Game Camera on a regular basis.
IF I win the deer hunting lottery and a big boy walks in I'll let one fly...other than that it's "Doe Down Fever"
Second in line barring the rare big buck in bow range is a Radio Collared Doe...both deer are special to me ...and Yes I would have a shoulder mount done if I get either of them simply for that reason.

"Lame Foot"

"RCD-Radio Collared Doe"

Old 09-24-2007, 02:42 PM
Dominant Buck

I've never seen a radio collared animal.....that's weird!

If I had been thinking clearly.....I "may" have had the doe I shot last week taxi'd. I wish I'd been thinking clearer.....but I was in a state of despair at the time.

I know I'll likely have other opportunities......but she will always be special.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think that way a lot. I get to shoot way more does than bucks, so as long as I have tags I'd rather see a doe over a small buck anyday. It's nice to see a few bucks now and then to keep the blood going. Then when hte rut starts I still don't mind seeing does, as usually there is a buck not too far behind!
Old 09-24-2007, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff,

How many you hammered already been out of the loop for a while

Old 09-24-2007, 02:48 PM
Dominant Buck

I hear ya, Rybo! My thoughts, (now), EXACTLY.

I won't stop targeting does until I get to a magic number....."IF" I do. I'd LOVE to hunt the rut targeting bucks.....but I'm not counting ANYTHING before it happens.

Good luck, guys!

Quick Reply: Something you've probably NEVER thought from stand...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.