Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

to stay all day or not??

Old 09-23-2007, 06:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default to stay all day or not??

opening day is Saturday for me. the spot im hunting is a tiny strip of woods. beans on one side, corn and alfalfa on another, thick brushy field on the other and a road at the far end. maybe 100yds wide and 500yds long. got my lock on hung a month or so ago.

i plan on being there early..like 3am MAYBE 4am early. another guy hunts there and i had a little problem with him opening day last year. he knows what i drive and will hopefully see me there and head somewhere else so i wanna be super early. going to take my summit viper in to sleep in waiting on sunrise. crazy..i know, but i rather sleep in the viper than in the lock on lol. and theres a couple spots the deer may go through other than where the lock on is hung. hopefully i should get shooting from the lock on without problems..but just incase, i want the summit there...

i REALLY hate to leave and come back later to hunt the evening. both times of the day are hot in that spot. my idea is to get there super early, 2 backpacks and the summit go in with me. 1 with food and water and the other with hunting gear i will need. sleep in the summit till almost day break and then get in the lock on. hunt it till i cant stand its uncomfyness and then hunt from the summit...i can sneak 100yds to hunt out of the summit alot easier than leaving and coming back for the evening hunt..

good idea? dumb idea? hunt the morning and just be super quiet leaving and coming back?? i dont know what to do...heck sitting there for hours on end during midday not seeing much will about kill me...but dont wanna ruin it.

that guy stayed in there ALL day last year. 5 or 6 am till dark. pretty sure he killed one of the bigguns..there were 2 bigguns everyone was seeing and he was seen there most of the day Sunday..we cant hunt Sundays so were guessing he was tracking...and 1 of the bigguns dissappeared.

advice? tips for an all day stay? i wont lie..ive never done it...im working on extending my hunts longer this year than last...leaving by 10am i know im missing/busting deer that i would have seen if i stayed..fill me in...
Old 09-23-2007, 06:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: to stay all day or not??

I think staying all day is more effective when it is around rut. But it is all up to you, you know the deer in your area better than we do. I guess it would never hurt if you can do it. You definately aren't going to have any deer walk by you in your living room
Old 09-23-2007, 06:50 PM

i think that staying all day is always a good idea if you have the patience and a treestand that's comfortable enough.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:01 PM

Hey Mauser, I love all day sits during the rut. This time of year you can see some midday activity, but it normally occurs in thicker cover. The only drawback to an all day sit, especially in early season, is changing wind direction. If the wind starts blowing into a bedding area, I'm outa there in a hurry. Just make up your mind you ARE going to sit all day and it's not bad. Take a pack with food, water, a pee bag and you're set. In early season,in midday I'll slide the lanyard on my harness up the tree until it's snug whenI sit down and take a snooze if I'm tired. I wake up at every crunch, so I'm not worried about missing anything.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:22 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]