Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Will better arrows make a difference????

Old 09-22-2007, 07:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default Will better arrows make a difference????

When I started shooting carbons a couple years ago--I couldn't afford the pro shops price over 100.00 bucks a dozen--So (don't make fun) but I went to Wal-mart an bought a dozen Carbon Impacts--they shot good-I then had them reflected with 2" blazers--they shot better!!

Money is a little better now--So would my groups get tighter with some better arrows--Now at twenty yds I can touch thumb an forefinger around three arrows--at thirty yds a little bigger circle not much though!!!

Ihear of ya'll busting nocks--I use to with alu. arrows--But I don't do 3-D anymore--What do ya'll think???
Old 09-22-2007, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Will better arrows make a difference????

I don't know, if they are shooting good this close to season I'm not sure I would want to change arrows if your shooting that good. But the better the arrow the better it will shoot IMO.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:26 AM
Fork Horn

I forgot to add my season don't start for three longgggggg weeks so plenty of time to change!!!Shoot I've changed strings and cables on friday night before opening day--didn't get much sleep but who sleeps the night before!!
Old 09-22-2007, 07:38 AM
Typical Buck

I would say that you are doing just fine with the arrows you have.

Even the worst group of arrows can sometimes be tuned to shoot as well or better than the shooter is capable.

Here are some tips:

1) Number your arrows: This allows you to keep track of which ones fly well and which ones don't. Does arrow #5 always seem to be high and right of the group?....

2) For arrows identified by #1 above, twist the nock 120 degrees and align it to the next fletch: Sometimes arrow spine is not consistent radially. Your "flyer" arrow may be ultra stiff or ultra weak where the nock is aligned now. By twisting it to the next vane you may make an otherwise unshootable arrow a better than average performer. If the first twist does not work, go 120 deg to the next fletch.

3) For arrows that fail #1 and #2 above, use them as tomato stakes or cut them down and make pens out of them.

As for changing arrows, I would say that you are inside the "red zone" for changing your bow setup. As hunting season approaches I use a 4 week window before the season as my cutoff for equipment changes. Broadheads go on and that is what I shoot until I am done hunting for the year.

If you really get the itch for new arrows, go ahead and buy them, however don't use them until you are done for the year. Spend the time learning to fletch them yourself, put some wraps on them and wait for spring.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Better arrows might make a difference. It depends entirely on your archery skills. Some folks can't shoot good enough to tell the difference between $200 a dozen arrows and the el cheapo Wally World stuff. Better arrows wouldn't do them any good. Some folks are so good they can tell between a clean arrow and one a fly pooped on. They are always looking for better arrows because they need them.

Some folks can't tune a bow to save their behinds. That's a skill that's almost as important as shooting skill. A better arrow wouldn't do them any good.

On the other hand, having good arrows is more important than having a top end bow. Give a good archer an old beater of a bow and great arrows, he's gonna shoot great. Give the same guy a great bow but junk arrows, and he's going to struggle.