Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

share you favorite hunting story in detail please?

Old 09-21-2007, 11:41 PM

Default share you favorite hunting story in detail please?

PLEASE SHARE YOUR STORIES WITH ME, I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR THEM,PUT A PICTURE UP TO IF YOU DONT MIND.THANKS
Old 09-22-2007, 12:42 AM

Default RE: share you favorite hunting story in detail please?

So me and my buddy are out elk hunting. We show up there about 30mins before legal shooting time and there is about 6 inches of snow on the ground and its about -4F and we are about 100yds from the truck and i notice that the snow had been disturbed alot and there was alot of grass kicked up. So immediately we think, there was a herd of elk here recently. So we continue to walk about another 50yds and suddenly i caught the scent of elk. Right away i knew they werent very far from us. So we decided to just sit and wait till we could see better. Just as we were sitting down we heard some cow's calling so now we know what general direction they are in but we still cant see that good due to lack of light. So about 20mins later we get up and we look across to this other hill and see them standing there.(they were where the red circle is)

So i whip out the binoculars and take a look and they all have their heads pointed right at us. So i figured we must have spooked them with walking threw the snow and they ran over to the next ridge. So we proceeded along the path with goes threw some good cover and we were still downwind, so we were able to get to about within 600yds of them then we were back in the open again, and they spotted us again and then moved out of sight behind some trees(just to the left of the blue circle). They werent moving fast and they didnt seem spooked so we figured they did one of two things, they stayed high and just out of sight or they are goin over the hill into a big bowl. So we planned that i will go high and see if they are there and if i spook them they will go over the hill into the bowl and my buddy was goin to go sit there. So as i proceed up this hill behind some cover i spot a cow elk standing right in the opening where we last spotted them. So i dropped my pack and i started belly crawling threw the snow to the edge of the tree line to where i can get a good shot. As im crawling i start seeing more and more elk in this clearing, there were about 30 cows, but i hadnt seen a bull yet and i knew he must be close by. Im about 30yds from the edge of the tree line and i suddenly hear a snap just to the right of me. I look and here is a beautiful 6x6 bull standing about 50yds from me starring right at me and the cows are still about 150yds from me. Unfortunately i didnt have a bull tag so i was goin for the cows. I figured well if i move now this bull is gunna alert the herd and there goes any chance of gettin a shot off at a cow. So i got to a sitting position, was able to rest my gun a log and i had a cow facing me broadside with its head pointing to the right and it had another cow right by its rear end and that one had its rear facing me and it was looking back at me. So the herd was on to me so i put my cross hairs right on the cow facing me broadside, she is 160yds from me and my rifle is sighted in at 200yds so i put those cross hairs right on her and BOOM! The herd scatters and i missed the cow some how, cause there was no reaction, she just bolted, so i end up unloading my clip on her and not a single hit. I was just dumbfounded, i couldnt believe i had a perfect shot and i missed every time. But suddenly i see a cow come bolting right for me from the left. So i hunker down and i go to reach for my bullet wallet....gone not on the belt, so now i have a second opportunity and i have no bullets, now this cow is walking in front of me only 50yds and i have no bullets, but i notice she was bleeding from her right rear leg. IMMEDIATELY i knew i hit the cow that had her butt facing me, and i knew right away somehow my gun was out of sight. So i watch this cow walk another 25yds and bed down, so i crawl back to my bag to get more ammo and i notice that i had forgot to put my bullet wallet on my belt that morning. So i reload and go back to finish her off if shes was still alive, but she had bleed out cause i hit the main artery in her leg. So when i was down guttin her i wanted to see how bad my gun was off. I took a shot at a target 200yds out and i ended up hitting 3 feet down and to the left. What i figured happened is when i was crawling i remember bumping my gun on a log and that must had knocked the scope out of whack. But all in all it was a huge screw up of a day, forgot my bullets, made a horrible shot on a cow, gun was off site, ran out of bullets, and at the end of the day when we got the elk back to the truck i was loading the quad (which ive done hundreds of times) and i gave it a lil too much gas and BANG i ran the quad right into the back of the truck and put a big bend in the box and dented the cab of my buddys truck. So it was a cursed elk trip but we managed to bag an elk, truck got fixed, gun is sighted in again and now everytime i leave the trucks in the morning i make sure i have bullets attached to my belt.

Old 09-22-2007, 04:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

The grossest hunting story-

The morning starts out like any other. I am one for routines. I wake up at 4:00am and roll out of bed . I go downstairs and the dog is going bonkers so I let her out. While she’s out I make a pot of coffee. By the time the coffee is done the dog is ready to come in. I let the dog in, pour a cup of coffee, sit down at the computer and check out huntingnet. Then I head upstairs to take a scent free shower before I leave to go hunting.. It’s the same thing EVERY morning.

The morning routine also consists of bodily functions. Just like clockwork after the 2nd cup of coffee I’m heading to the can for my morning crap J. After that I’m good to go. That’s my green light to head to the hunting lodge.

However, the other morning there was a kink in my ritual. Everything went like it usually does except the morning crap part. I was freaking out. NOTHING. I mean not even an inkling of needing to go. I was a little bothered by not needing to crap. All I can picture is getting into my stand and having to go. I delay my departure for 10 minutes hoping for some last minute magic. Nothing doing. I can’t wait anymore or I’ll be late to my stand.

Away I go and my routine carries on. I travel the same route to the hunting lodge. Same radio station. Stop at the same fields to take a glance etc…. All the while in the back of my mind I am deeply disturbed and now officially out of whack for the morning.

I get to the lodge and meet up with my hunting buddies. I try to ignore the fact that I haven’t been to the can yet. I get all my gear on and ready to go to the woods. I thought it wise to get a handful of toilet paper and put it in my pack. Again I’m prolonging my departure to walk to my stand hoping for some last minute movement. Nothing doing. Now I’m actually starting to put it out of my head and figuring everything is ok. I simply just didn’t need to crap this morning for whatever reason.

So I’m off to the woods. I have quite a little walk to get to my stand. I get halfway across the winter wheat field I have to walk across and I feel a strange little “gurgle”. Oh NO I think to myself. I stop dead in my tracks like a deer caught in headlights trying to figure it out. It rumbles again and I get a bad feeling. I gaze back at the walk back to the hunting lodge and try to decide if I should make a dash for it. It’s getting closer to light than I want it to and I don’t want to be late to my stand so I try to psych myself out and ignore it. I walk about 10 more steps and it’s like a volcano getting ready to erupt. I know at this point I’m doomed.

It’s no longer a gurgle or rumble, it’s coming full force now and there is no escaping. I frantically look back at the way I came and then ahead to the edge of the woods as I’m still standing in the middle of an open field. OH man I’m in trouble. There’s no ignoring it anymore.

I start making a mad dash to the edge of the woods. It was a cold morning and I have a lot of gear to shed. My hand warmer (muff) goes flying off. I drop my bow to the ground. I undo my release and wing that. My armguard goes flying. I unbuckle my fanny pack and chuck that someplace. I shed my coat. I’m just about falling over trying to unbuckle my bibs and pull them down. I’m in a marathon dash for my life to get to the woods. I feel like Finch in the movie American Pie when Stifler put Ex-Lax in his drink and he had to go to the bathroom in school. I now have a 50 yard trail of gear through a winter wheat field. I finally get to the edge of the woods and barely get my pants down (I mean BARELY).

WHEW!!! Out it comes. I finally took my morning crap. It’s about 25 degrees out and the wind is blowing pretty hard. I’m half naked and freezing my butt off. One minor problem…. I threw my pack someplace in my scramble and it’s still dark out. The pack that had the toilet paper that is. So I crawl around with my pants down to my ankles trying to find it. Finally find it and do what I have to do. Now I need to pick up the rest of my junk. That takes me quite awhile and it’s now getting light out.

Well I don’t quite know what to make of this morning of mine. I say to myself that’s done and over with and get a little chuckle out of it. I get all my stuff back in order and ready to hunt.

Off to my stand I go. I finally make it to the tree and get all situated. I’m sitting for about 10 minutes after first light and through the woods about 100 yards away I see a buck!! Not too bad of a buck either. He looks like he is veering away from me though. So scramble for my grunt call. I grab it out of the front pocket of my bibs and blow into it. The buck stops!! Wait a minute though what the heck was that?

Well…………….. I unfortunately got a taste of my morning crap. Somehow my grunt call got tangled up in my bibs in such a fashion that I crapped all over it. The thing was smeared in crap!!! I put my clothes back on and never noticed that I crapped all over part of my bibs. I guess in the haste I didn’t quite get them out of the way. I just about threw up. I was gagging for about 20 minutes. The buck must have decided he didn’t like my dry heaving motion and noise. I decided I’d had enough of that morning and headed back to practice some much needed oral hygiene. I don’t want to get into too much detail, but let’s just say there was “ample” amount of crap on my grunt call. Something I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy. That was truly disgusting.

I got back to hunting camp and felt obligated to tell the crew about the happenings. I’ve never seen grown men laugh so hard in all my life.

What a crappy experience.

P.S. I really don't think you want me to add a picture.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:31 AM
Typical Buck

OMG...[:'(]I laughed my ass off. Im sorry that was too funny..
Old 09-22-2007, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ew that was pretty grose...but funny at the same time.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:14 AM
Typical Buck

NY

I am going to tell you the truth, I would have never told that story. You have made my morning. I needed a good laugh after the week I've had.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:15 AM
Fork Horn

[:@]Just when you get to thinking you had a bad day--Along comes NY Bowhunterto save the day!!!
Old 09-22-2007, 08:36 AM

omg.that's the funniest story i've heard in a long time.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:53 AM

That has to be one of the funniest stories ever HAHAHAHAHA
Old 09-22-2007, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

That was the grossest story I ever heard...

Quick Reply: share you favorite hunting story in detail please?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.