Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

now i see what all the fuss is about...

Old 09-21-2007, 09:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default now i see what all the fuss is about...

today i went to a SMALL bowshop...i went to him once before and he was a super nice guy. small shop in his basement he runs after his day job. he does it to support archery in the schools. after dealing with the bigger shops, i got fed up...should never dealt with anyone after i found him in the first place. lesson learned...

went to have a new loop tied on(muffed up the one i tied on during the melting process and ran out of loop material) and to have 4 arrows refletched...he laughed when he seen them.."howd ya managed to tear up Blazer!?!?!?!" told him foolish me shot a couple broadheaded arrows at the same target being lazy...we both laughed..told him i was a slow learner

anywho....

i was browsing while we BSed and while he was gluing on my new blazers. went to the small selection of broadheads just to see if he had anything i havent seen before. sure enough, he did.

he had a 3 pack of 125gr Rocky Mountain 2blade snypers! i couldnt leave them sit there all alone on his shelf. figured id see for myself what all the fuss was about.

got home...double checked my loop was tied in the same spot as before and screwed on the snyper. WHACK! blew a hole in my apple like ive never seen before. (i like to prop up small apples off my backyard apple tree and shoot them with broadheads...dont ask why...but i do lol. after i seen the hole, i had to dig through my haybales looking for my arrow. ya, my broadhead target is getting replaced tomarrow after work or Sunday if i go hunting...but theres a couple clean spots that havent been shot yet near the edges. the head is opening on impact like it should, flying with my 125gr 3 blade muzzys...and penetrating like my target isnt there!

to boot, they seem pretty danged durable for a mechanical. alot thickey blades and no flimsyness im used to on jack knife style blades.

i was also sold when he showed me that they would open on a plastic bag. said that was the only mechanical he seen do that.

glad to see they flew with my BROADHEADS not my fieldpoints this year, i simply cannot get my broadheads to fly with my fieldpoints. tried it all...started from scratch 3x now. im done fussing with it. my FPs shoot 3-4 inches higher...but my BHs shoot right where i want them to and fly like darts so i really cant complain...im not gunna fuss with it anymore.

only complaint i have is the little rubber bands...i need to find someone with braces because their rubber bands aughta be perfect. im loosing a rubber band ever shot i take. is that normal?? or just my target(a 2-3 inch thick piece of harder foam)...Dick's sporting goods sales them...mine lasted a year and i like it for a 30$ target. im going to glue it to the back of the new one i buy....really get some life out of them...i like the snypers alot....but theres gotta be a better place to get the rubber bands...ideas???
Old 09-21-2007, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: now i see what all the fuss is about...

Just look up an Orthodontist and ask for some. They'll probably give em to you free. Or as your dentist to ask his ortho. You do see your dentist regularly don't you?
Old 09-21-2007, 09:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

mauser06, there is a reason I tried the Snypers in the first place. 5 Shot did a broadhead test review on them and he ranked them with Muzzy. After shooting Muzzy for over 15 yearss and I still do I tried the Snypers...OMG they leave an unbelievable hole and are flawless. I don't blow smoke when I preach of them.

Yes, loosing a rubber band every shot is normal. Tie them shut with dental floss or I cut 1/16" buy an inch or more long pieces of electrical tape with an exacto knife and put the tape pieces around the blades where the o rings go. That's saves the orings and you can shoot as much as you want simply change the tape.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:35 PM

THEY R AWESOME
Old 09-22-2007, 03:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

How do you sharpen them afterpracticeing with them?
Old 09-22-2007, 03:53 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Dr Andy

Just look up an Orthodontist and ask for some. They'll probably give em to you free.

Thats what I did they gave me a bag thats got about 500 bands !!
Old 09-22-2007, 04:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys....im excited...they seem like an awesome head...

thanx for the tips rob...both sound about as simple as fighting with a tiny rubberband....

sad thing is, i will most likely NEVER see another 125gr snyper. the guy said that that pack i bought was the originals. packaging is even different. but they are the same head and same blade design...

rick...i bought a pack of replacement blades. i will most likely keep 1 for practice and replace the blades on the other 2 after i shoot them for the quiver...just like i do with my muzzys.

now do i want 2 snypers and 1 muzzy in the quiver or 2 muzzys and 1 snyper...and what one do i nock!?!?
Old 09-22-2007, 05:57 AM

ORIGINAL: Rickmur

How do you sharpen them afterpracticeing with them?
I don't take the same heads out in the woods that Itarget shoot with. I just set aside a pack and condsider them my practice heads. A bit pricey that way, but worth it to me.

Instead of doing the dental floss trick, which I have found doesn't last very long, I tightly tie a double wrap of serving material around the head to prevent it from opening. It works great and the heads fly the same as they would with rubber bands. You can get quite a few shots off without replacing the serving material.

I've heard of some guys using epoxy to keep theblades closed on their practice heads, but I've never tried it because my feeling is that the epoxy will add a good bit of weight to the head.

Has anyboody bought the two blade Rage practice heads and compare the point of impact against the Syper? It would be interesting to hear the results...
Old 09-22-2007, 07:48 AM

now do i want 2 snypers and 1 muzzy in the quiver or 2 muzzys and 1 snyper...and what one do i nock!?!?
That's the same problem I have...When I get up in my tree I can't decide whether to nock my RM Gator XP or G5 Striker...
Old 09-22-2007, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Back when I shot Rocket Aerheads for years and years, I went to a local orthodontist and explained what I wanted... they tossed me a bag of about 500 for free.