Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Booner from a boat?

Old 09-21-2007, 11:51 AM

Default RE: Booner from a boat?

that is what we were doing at the time. we just never thought one would swim in behind us. just goes to show that you are never smarter than they are.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

In WV. you could have stopped the boat, turned off the motor, made sure the boat was not moving from the power of the motor, waited until the deer exited the water then shot it from the boat.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:25 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: DannyD

In WV. you could have stopped the boat, turned off the motor, made sure the boat was not moving from the power of the motor, waited until the deer exited the water then shot it from the boat.
This isa perfect example of a dumb law. How could you ever determine that factor in a swift water river?
Old 09-21-2007, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

And don't forget Germ. Germ uses his boat to plan a sneak attack and get behind deer that are in the fields. He sneaks in behind them and sets up in his stands before the deer get back, great idea.
I'll be doing this too this year. I have a few stands that are right along the river. The problem is I'd have to walk a half a mile through the field to get to them. Instead, I'll use a canoe to come around the backside. The deer in the field will never know I'm there waiting for them.

If Germ does it, it's gotta work!
Old 09-21-2007, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: arch

......would it have been wrong for me to jump on the boat, follow the deer to shore, and take the shot from the boat.
What if you followed the deer to shore with the boat, but got out of the boat to take the shot? Nothing wrong there, right? As long as both you AND the deer were out of the water, what is the problem?
Old 09-21-2007, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: StrutNtom

ORIGINAL: DannyD

This isa perfect example of a dumb law. How could you ever determine that factor in a swift water river?

Only reporting on the law, I didn't write it.
Not sure, I would think that if you turned off the motor in a swift river or even a lake, and waited 10-15 seconds you are probably now being moved by wind, and current. But I guess it would be hard to prove either way.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:38 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

......would it have been wrong for me to jump on the boat, follow the deer to shore, and take the shot from the boat.
What if you followed the deer to shore with the boat, but got out of the boat to take the shot? Nothing wrong there, right? As long as both you AND the deer were out of the water, what is the problem?
I am not sure what would happen in this case, but personally I would not do that. Its just like jumping out of your truck to shoot at a deer. Its not hunting. Its shooting. (((IMO)))
Old 09-21-2007, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Illegal in Virginia.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: StrutNtom

I am not sure what would happen in this case, but personally I would not do that. Its just like jumping out of your truck to shoot at a deer. Its not hunting. Its shooting. (((IMO)))
Good point. Maybe not the most sportsmanlike thing to do....
Old 09-21-2007, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

And don't forget Germ. Germ uses his boat to plan a sneak attack and get behind deer that are in the fields. He sneaks in behind them and sets up in his stands before the deer get back, great idea.
I'll be doing this too this year. I have a few stands that are right along the river. The problem is I'd have to walk a half a mile through the field to get to them. Instead, I'll use a canoe to come around the backside. The deer in the field will never know I'm there waiting for them.

If Germ does it, it's gotta work!
I've done the same exact thing. In one of my best areas there is a river (well really it's a creek but they call it a river) that I have used to get up into the middle of a huge blackberry/green briar patch bedding area. Once in there there are a couple of deer made trails you can use to set up for some great late season hunting.

Quick Reply: Booner from a boat?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.