Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Windy Days

Old 09-21-2007, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Windy Days

Howhard does the wind have to be blowing before you decide it just isn't worth sitting in a tree? Its predicted to be blowing 14 mph tomorrow afternoon, thats getting up there but I'll probably still use my climber.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:55 AM

Default RE: Windy Days

RIS, where are you located? A 14 mph wind here in Nebraska (and when I lived in South Dakota) was definitely defined as a "light wind". I sat in the stand on Monday with 30 to 35 mph gusts.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

If the tree is swaying back and forth I'm not hunting, and it only takes a 10 to 12mile an hour wind to do that.I have a couple of big white oaks I have stands in for windy days. I would say if the wind gets close to 20 mph. then I'm not hunting even them. If I just had to hunt that day, then I would get on the ground. I don't like hunting windy days anyway, but I will. If that tree is swaying, I don't won't to take a risk at a bad shot and wounding a deer.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:17 AM

Its never too windy to hunt I sat in some very strong winds last year just to have them die off a bit before dark and the deer got up and moved!
Old 09-21-2007, 10:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'll just hunt a different way if its to windy, like staking thru the standing corn or the woods! I do like a little wind during the early season because it keeps the bugs away from ya! But it does have to be 20+ to keep me out of a tree!
Old 09-21-2007, 10:25 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

I'll just hunt a different way if its to windy, like staking thru the standing corn or the woods! I do like a little wind during the early season because it keeps the bugs away from ya! But it does have to be 20+ to keep me out of a tree!
I am with BHF. Just because you can't sit in a tree stand doesn't mean you can't hunt. Perfect time to do a little still hunting. Find yourself some deer that are bedding and you are set.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:31 AM

it would pretty near have to blow me out of the tree
Old 09-21-2007, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Biggest buck I ever killed was in a storm that was freaking me out. I was sitting on top of a big overturned root ball and thought I may get hit by a tree. But I was after my boy and I was pretty sure I had him figured out, and I did. Just before dark, he belonged to me. When I shot him there were three doe standing all around me. One small one to my right was so close I could have tossed my pack onto her back. They looked freaked out too. I'm not sure if that was because the wind was crazy and they kept getting wind of me, or if they just didn't feel good around all the blowing trees either. Either way, there we all were, spending some quality time together in a storm.
I'm pretty sure that deer have to eat more in times of cold weather, hard winds and rain. All of these things require calories to overcome. Besides, it wouldn't surprise me if deer haven't figured out that us domesticated primates like to be indoors during such weather and get a little lazy.
Go hunt it man! My season doesn't start until Oct 6, so as you're probably aware of, it is going to take a lot more than 15 mph wind to keep me from going out!
Old 09-21-2007, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mjhamel

RIS, where are you located? A 14 mph wind here in Nebraska (and when I lived in South Dakota) was definitely defined as a "light wind". I sat in the stand on Monday with 30 to 35 mph gusts.
I'll be hunting in CT, and 14 isn't "too" bad. When it reaches around 20 sustained I don't like hunting in trees, never see any movement that way. Still hunting is an option, but where I hunt I pretty much have to catch the deer moving into a field from the surrounding woods because I have permission to hunt 30 acres which is mostly comprised of big fields. I suppose there are a few spots that I could still hunt, but for the most part I need to catch them on the move.