Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I think I can get close enough for a clean shot

Old 09-20-2007, 08:46 PM

Default I think I can get close enough for a clean shot

I was able to get pretty close to a few bucks this morning, one is ready for the rut to start, has that red around the eyes and getting jumpy. My wife took a video, you can see the herd looks good this year, all that rain really helped.
Here's a link to the vid we took this morning
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/830733/whitetail_deer_sept_20_2007/
Old 09-20-2007, 08:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I think I can get close enough for a clean shot

red around the eyes and gettin jumpy eh?? sounds like he might be on drugs be a while before the rut for most of us...might see some minor sparring and such...just establishing dominance and territory as the bachlor groups of summer depart...funny how bucks...and turkeys for that matter are.....best of buds most the year...till "that time" then they are battling it out....kinda reminds me of highschool actually

good luck gettin close!!
Old 09-20-2007, 09:12 PM

i don't think ^ guy watched the video thats crazy how they trust you like that i don't think I would have the heart to take one of those deer
Old 09-20-2007, 09:21 PM

Most of the bucks have just lost their velvet, onlysaw thatone going into rut and of course he's not really there yet but showing the signs. The young ones are doing a little sparring, but you can tell they're just foolin around. I saw one a few miles away yesterday that still had his velvet.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:32 PM
Fork Horn

Man i cant wait for the rut to come! Its like x mass
Old 09-20-2007, 09:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Talk of bucks going into rut. Buck have nothing to do with it, well other than being there to breed the does. Sure they go into changes anticipating the rut (which is regulated and simply named for the period of time when does come into estrous). The bucks would breed in June if a ready doe allowed it would he be "in rut" then?

Old 09-20-2007, 10:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rob, do you really think they could breed in June? Seems to me they need to build up their testosterone levels. I recall reading they're not ready until the velvet is gone.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:11 PM

r these deer your pets?if you shoot one of those your not a hunter n my book
Old 09-20-2007, 11:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

I was making a point Dr and yes, if a doe was ready a buck would certainly try. Bucks don't control the rut, the "rut" is coined for when the does come into estrous. We tend to over use the term when refering to bucks. You see the post...THE RUT IS ON....when someone sees a buck dogging a doe that isn't ready. The rut isn't ON the does are not in rut.

We can say that they are getting ready for the rut, not the bucks are in rut.....that makes no sense scientifically speaking.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

wow look at them. them are like 1/2 size deer, wheres the BEEF!

Quick Reply: I think I can get close enough for a clean shot

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.