Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how far

Old 09-20-2007, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default how far

ok i am really looking for some advice. i am shooting a Reflex Excursion at 60 LBS. 28 in draw with 8.1 gpi arrows and 100 grain G5 Montecs. last year i didn't shoot over 30 yards. this year i have set pins for 40 and 50 yards, but what would be the longest shot you would take. i hold a pretty good group at 40 and a reasonable one at 50 but what would you recommend. i have been practicing a lot and feel comfortable but i want to know what distance everyone thinks is reasonable. so what is the longest shot you all think i should take.

Thanks lots in advance.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:09 PM

Default RE: how far

if you practice alot and feel good about 50 yards shoot it then,remember its about confidence with your bow,i have no problems from shooting 45 yards but i do it all the time,two years ago on back to back nights i killed two does at 43 yards
Old 09-20-2007, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess it depends on what your definition of reasonable. I won't shoot farther than 40. I practice at longer distances to help my accuracy at the shorter ones. It all depends what you feel is fair to the animal.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:28 PM

I think the most important thing to consider on any shot longer than 30 yards is the deers' mental status. Is he/she calm, weary, down rite jumpy. I will only shoot longer than 30 when the deer shows no to limited alertness to my presence. So if I feel comfortable with the deer and the shoot feels solid, then I say go for it.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

thanks and my definition of reasonable at 50 yards is 3 - 4 inches. but i will probably not shoot over 40.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

i dont really even like 35 yards or so
Old 09-20-2007, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you should take the shot that is comfortable to YOU.

I can shot great out to 50. Will I shoot a deer at 50? It depends on a lot of things. Are there twigs, is it windy, is the deerbroadside, am I comfortable enough not to rush the shot and screw up, etc.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

You did right last year

This year try and sharpen your hunting skills.

Sounds like your shooting skills are fine.

30 yds is a long way in the woods.

I also practice @ 40 & 50 but only to make me a better shot @25-30
Old 09-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

i practice clean out to 60. got pins from 20-60. i stack arrows at 40 all day long.

whats my limit? top pin...25 or less 99% of the time.

exceptions: pre-ranged distances. rare..i dont own a range finder lol. everything gotta be perfect...no wind...deer not alert..perfect shot...no chance of brush or anything..no wind...etc etc...

and...if i wound one and know i hit it, and it gives me another shot...i will GLADLY put another arrow into it if it gives me the chance. 2 bad arrows is better than 1 bad one IMO...unless i think its gunna bed down and die there...then i will let it and wait it out.

i think im a decint bow shot. heck...out of everyone ive shot with, im the best...but never shot with anyone GOOD...but i can hold my own.

why wouldnt i increase my range? i might...if i owned a range finder and had a picture perfect shot.

not saying within 25 i dont wait for that picture pefect shot....but past 25 i wanna know the exzact distance...i dont want a stiff crosswind...

all personal. heck...anything past 25 in my woods is FAR. not too many times i can see much past that unless im sittin on an oak flat...which is rare unless the thick stuff is within shootin distance. i save my distance shootin for infront of the buddies....like the 67yd shot on a 3" bullseye i nailed...never saw my buddys jaw drop that low before
Old 09-20-2007, 09:43 PM

Good advice Capt. Leo. There are a lot of things that can happen in the time it takes for your release to break and the arrow to travel 50 yards. For the first ten years I bowhunted I refused to shoot a deer past twenty yards and it payed off with very few lost animals. My shooting skill and confidence has improved over the years and I will shoot a little farther, but not much. The most important thing is making a clean, humane kill and if that means passing a big buck at forty yards, so be it. Bowhunting is about making memories and I always remember the ones that got away more than the ones I kill.