Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many people have missed a Booner?

Old 09-21-2007, 01:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many people have missed a Booner?

I missed possibly the biggest 8 point I've ever seen anywhere - including in magazines and at hunting shows. THREE TIMES,my arrow started to fall off the rest as I began to draw on him (I was still using fingers back then). I finally reached full draw and saw the arrow start lifting off the rest due to finger pinch. I canted the bow so the arrow would go back to where it should be and banged the tip of it against my rattling antlers![:@][:@][:@]

He took his eyes off the doe and looked right at me while I standing there at full draw with an arrow that's not even on the rest! I missed that monster and a friend witnessed the whole thing. All together, four of us saw the huge buck and we allagreed that his G2's were about 18" and his G3's about 15. He was a gigantic 8 point and had a spread of about 23 -25".
Old 09-21-2007, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I did on a 180's buck in Illinois!![:@]The problem was I didn't even get to shoot. I had watched this buck for a week switching runways into the field and I know he was coming out on the run way I had hung my stand on. But instead of paying attention to where he should be coming from I was watching a 130 class run a doe all around the field in front of me, when I heard a branch break and there was my 180 standing 10 yards away. Well I hung my bincos very slowly and reached for my bow all while watching the buck and when I picked up my now the tip of my arrow hit a branch and rattled.. Bye bye mister buck!!![&:]Thats what happens when you don't pay attention!!! Walt
Old 09-21-2007, 05:30 AM
Typical Buck

I was trying to forget that painful day. Thanks. I had a giant 10 come right in under mystand. He was exactly 4 yards from the base of my tree. I never practice a shot like this. It close right, chip shot. He came in so quick and crossed the little creek in front. I gave him a little whistle and whif right over his back. I still remember as he ran away. He was 200 lbs if he was a pound. He stumbled in the mud a bit and you could see how wide his body was. Then like a freight train crashed through the woods. Last time I ever saw him. Boy that makes me mad just thinking about it. I have a 147 10point and he doesn't hold a candle to that one. Perfect rack perfect color. Not to dark not to white. I am going to go and cry now. An possible be sick again.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dragonslayer1

Booners in Florida are about as scare as alligators in Alaska. Have missed a Poper here though, a great Florida ten with outstanding tine length. He was chasing a doe and I actually grunted him off the doe. He came in to twenty yards and stood facing my tree panting like a dog for about ten minutes. When he finally turned broadside I made a perfect shot on the palmetto bush directly under his heart. Have killed over a hundred deer in Florida with my bow, but no monsters. One tip for hunting big bucks, you can't kill 'em where they don't exist. Been hunting the midwest the last few years and done good!
I feel your pain man !!!!!!!!!! , We just dont have them here , especialy the southern half .

I never missed one , did have one within 15 yards a few years ago , but was taged out for buck , only haveing doe tags left , Ive missed plenty that were not boone an crocket though , Ive been bow hunting 15 years , and this is the first year I scored a booner , elk , not whitetail , Im not complaining .
Old 09-21-2007, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last season in the beginning of Nov. I had this buck come by me at 15-20 yds. I first seen him from about 75yds out and grunted at him twice and then the CAN twice. He came in on a dead run and stopped about 35yds out and started thrashing a tree. I couldn't believe my eyes! Then as he was coming by my stand on a steady trott I tried to stop him with a baaawww! Nothing... and another baaawwww! nothing.... so I went HEY! Then by the time he stopped he was past my shooting lane and 40 yds out in the brush. Then he turned his head and kept on his way out of my life. I've never seen anything that big in the woods or in person by someone else. Almost started crying when I seen that deer cross a ridge and then was gone. The next time I see him he's on the back of an ATV in gun season. One of the other hunters that hunts around us got him about 1 mile from where I seen him in early Nov.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:41 AM
Typical Buck

Booner what the heck is a booner? I hunt Michigan. hehe
Old 09-21-2007, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is another.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:09 AM
Site Buck Guru

I've killed every one I've ever shot at.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:12 AM
Banned

Hmmmm....yeah, never seen a booner...
Old 09-21-2007, 07:22 AM

Never seen a Booner around my area, probably never seen one that would go over 120.

Quick Reply: How many people have missed a Booner?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.