Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is this legal?

Old 09-20-2007, 06:14 PM

Default RE: Is this legal?

ORIGINAL: Badger_Girl93

the WI regs dont say anything about bucks in velvet....my friends dad has one mounted from WI...couple years old though
ya might want to re-read them regs before ya get into the stand...
Old 09-20-2007, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mr17pointer

Directly from the Wi DNR Regs:

[align=left]It is illegal to:[/align][align=left]• sell, purchase, barter, or offer to sell, purchase or barter any deer or deer part[/align][align=left]thereof except: the head, skin not in spotted coat, and antlers not in velvet of any[/align][align=left]deer lawfully killed, when severed from the rest of the carcass.[/align][align=left]• possess a deer with broken or removed antlers in an EAB deer management unit[/align][align=left]or during an antlerless only deer season, which makes determination of legality[/align][align=left]impossible.[/align][align=left]• possess a deer carcass unless tagged and registered as required.[/align][align=left]• possess deer antlers in velvet, spotted hides, albino or white deer which are entirely[/align][align=left]white except the hooves, tarsal glands, heads and parts of the head, unless special[/align]written authorization is obtained from the department.

[align=left]Note: Deer with antlers in velvet or in spotted coat may be harvested during the[/align][align=left]open deer season, however, to keep the antlers or spotted hide the hunter must[/align][align=left]contact a Warden within 7 days of tagging the deer and request written authorization.[/align][align=left]The spotted hide and velvet antlers may not be sold or transferred to another[/align][align=left]person. Albino and white deer may not be harvested without prior written authorization[/align][align=left]from the DNR (albino and white deer may be harvested and possessed in the[/align]CWD DEZ

edited to add the link to hunting regs...I always tak them with me to read in my stand when i am not seeing anything!
http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/wildlife/regs/deer07.pdf
I read the same thing. Sounds like you might not be able to keep the deer. I can't understand why.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:31 PM
Typical Buck

It's perfectly LEGAL to shoot a buck still in velvet as long as hunting season is OPEN. Though it is rare here, it DOES happen sometimes, and all a hunter has to do is call the warden to come out and acknowledge the fact the animal was taken legally so you can keep them. If you have any doubts even though it's rather clear to me in the regs, call your local warden or your nearest DNR service center, and they'll tell you everything you need to know.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Snake1 Been our yet?
Old 09-21-2007, 04:39 AM

ORIGINAL: RattleSnake1

It's perfectly LEGAL to shoot a buck still in velvet as long as hunting season is OPEN. Though it is rare here, it DOES happen sometimes, and all a hunter has to do is call the warden to come out and acknowledge the fact the animal was taken legally so you can keep them. If you have any doubts even though it's rather clear to me in the regs, call your local warden or your nearest DNR service center, and they'll tell you everything you need to know.

I agree with you, but if the warden is not called, it is ILLEGAL...I was just pointing it out for their reference..seems alot of people do not know the regs as they should.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes it is legal to shoot a buck in velvet in Wi. But there are certain laws about keeping antlers in velvet. Im not 100% sure but I think you have to take the deer into a DNR office and receive a special permit that allows you to keep the antlers in velvet. I would contact the head office out of Madison to find out for sure.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:27 AM
Dominant Buck

Sounds like a GREAT procedure to keep guys from jacking them during the summer and keeping/selling the mounts.

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Both bucks I've seen this season were still in velvet.....on opening day 9/8.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Sounds like a GREAT procedure to keep guys from jacking them during the summer and keeping/selling the mounts.

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.
When I first read this I couldn't believe we could keep or shoot a velvet buck but you made a pretty good point there GMMAT! I have ne problem calling my warden!!!!!!!