Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If You Want To Shoot A Huge Buck....

Old 09-19-2007, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default If You Want To Shoot A Huge Buck....

Then you've got to let some of the nice bucks walk. It's early in the season here, and I've already let a few nice bucks walk to see another day and hopefully another year. These are two of them:

3.5 year old eight:

4.5 year old eight. This buck's body looks huge at 10 yards.

But I stick to my word. If you want to shoot a huge one, you got to let these guys walk.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:16 PM

Default RE: If You Want To Shoot A Huge Buck....

i know what your sayn,but in my neck of the woods im stickin both of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-19-2007, 08:19 PM
Typical Buck

So they let you root around in their mouth soyou could age them or do you have a copy of their birth certificate? Just curious how you know exactly how old they are.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd shoot em Jim. How's the supply biz w/Holt BTW?
Old 09-19-2007, 08:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'd be pressed, they'd have to stand in front of me for a while for a decision. Probably pass unless it's the last week.

And James, man I'd hate to argu but in PA (which is not unlike WI) I'd be pressed calling them 3.5 and 4.5, I'd say 2.5 and 3.5 repectably. Dunno.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:11 PM
Fork Horn

i think whether someone should pass on such a deer is totally differnent in each situation. One person who has hunted for years may have shot deer like the two pictured and then another individual who just started hunting may have never taken a buck. With the latter.... I would be fine if a friend of mine who just started hunting or never had any real luck harvested one of those bucks. And by no means does passing on these deer mean that 100 yards or 500 yards through the woods another hunter won't take a pop at them.

I'm not saying I would or wouldn't, just saying I think everyone would have a different reason for taking or not taking a shot. I've been hunting 12 years and haven't harvested many bucks, so it would be a toss up. I will agree that the first deer looks more like 2.5 and the stockier one is around 3.5-4. I'll say one thing, that second one is a hoss!
Old 09-19-2007, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

did the farmer accidentally spill some spill some corn in that top pic.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:20 PM

Not to start anything, but that top buck is no older than 2.5, and the bottom one is 3.5....
Old 09-19-2007, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Both those deer should be nice ones next year
Old 09-19-2007, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't mind your skepticism on the ages of the two bucks which I have posted. It is only to be expected when I put an estimated age on the enclosed photos.

The first buck, I have photos of last year as a 13-14" eight point. One would only have to assume that would make him atleast 3.5 this year.

The second buck, I have no prior history with. But, I have seen him at less than 10 yards, two hours before nightfall. He surely is not 2.5. And he could be 3.5. But I don't think so. Think, being the operative word.

Andy, the supply biz has been great. Things are really picking up. I've had a great week. First Statim sale and first Pelton autoclave sale for me this week.

Quick Reply: If You Want To Shoot A Huge Buck....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.