Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If You Want To Shoot A Huge Buck....

Old 09-20-2007, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: If You Want To Shoot A Huge Buck....

Are you sure about the age on those bucks???

lolj/k Nice job. I agree, if you're able to manage a spot, then letting the young/mid-sized bucks go, only increase your odds now and in the future in harvesting a big buck.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nybowhunter, I wouldn't blame you for an instant if you chose to shoot these deer. My brother has never shot a buck with a bow either. I recently got two pictures of a young double drop tine from his stand site. After seeing the pictures, he looks at me and says "Dead deer walkin". I just laughed and told him to have fun and shoot one. Here are the pics of that deer. Would love to see him make it to 5.5 or 6.5.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:07 AM
Dominant Buck

JV (My initias, too).....

I'm just in awe at the body on that young, drop tine buck. I've only been fortunate enough to see one deer in my life on the hoof, like that. My buddy Germ once told me that there are "mature bucks"....and then there are "deer". He said I'd always distinguish them that way after I saw each. He was right.

That buck is a stud. He's beautiful......rack EXcluded.

Good luck this season.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

A 4.5 year old would be shot at from my bow. A 3.5 will walk this year unless I just feel like killing him. Sometimes you've got to remember that this is a hobby and is supposed to be fun. Do what makes you happy.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:48 AM

I would probably shoot that deer as he won't get much bigger.... BUT, I get 3 buck tags. I wouldn't use my only tag on him. But he is mature and that is what its all about!
Old 09-20-2007, 08:00 AM
Fork Horn

Oh he will definately get bigger! The bottom picturedbuck at 3.5 years old, has only reached about 75% of his full rack sizepotential of a 5.5 or 6.5 year fully mature buck. Let the 2 and 3 year oldgo and watch them grow!

You'll be glad you did!
Old 09-20-2007, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd say 2.5 on the top one and 3.5 on the bottom one... Just a guess from a uneducated public land deer hunter, nothing more
Old 09-20-2007, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen one 4.5 year old buck in over 20 years of hunting. So, if I let the 3.5 year olds go I'd have had one shot at a buck in 20 years. My point isit really has more to do with where you are and the pressure the herd gets. I know the herd pretty well (7 trail cameras and about 5000 pictures this year), I just try to shoot the best buck available.

ORIGINAL: James Vee

Also, I will not let this turn into a discussion on whether there is corn in the photos or not, and whether it is legal or not. It is not the reason for the post. But it is the reason why I often do not post pictures.
If baiting were illegal in wisconsin and that was corn in the picture then you'd have a hard time getting people not to talk about it.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mathews outback

i know what your sayn,but in my neck of the woods im stickin both of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My thoughts exactly...I don't see them like that where I hunt deer. I wouldn't hesitate on taking either one of them...
Old 09-20-2007, 11:40 PM

James Vee you did right. If thats not what you want then let him go.Wait on something thats going to make you happy.I like to let some of the smaller bucks go were I hunt and it makes you feel good to see them live. It's even nicer when the rut hits and you get a chance at a real bruiser.

Quick Reply: If You Want To Shoot A Huge Buck....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.