Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Nothing to do with bowhunting.....But I gotta vent!

Old 09-21-2007, 07:38 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Nothing to do with bowhunting.....But I gotta vent!

Mobo,
We all certainly feel your pain. We all get tired of the expenses, stress, andpanicthat ensues withan untimely vehiclebreakdown. I, too, have a minivan with 150,000 miles on it. (For those of you without kids- you might just not understand how practical they are.)

I hope your venting has helped you feel better.

Now, let me offer some encouragement. A few years ago, I got seriously tired of debt, stressing over bills and living check to check. I took the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University --- and it changed my life...really. I learned a few things that are just common sense: 1.) debt is bad- duh...but we almost all have it! 2.) Most emergencies aren't emergencies- i.e. minivans will break down, Christmas comes every December 25, and the kids will always need new clothes especially at the new school year.Air conditioners and heaters will go out. Plan for them. Don't be reactionary- be proactive. 3.) Save. Then you can pay for the repairs and never borrow for a vehicle again (vehicles are NEVER investments. They all depreciate. 4.) Communication with a spouse or significant other will always help in making financial decisions. 5.) Make a plan. Most people wish they could give more away to charities...but they don't plan to. They say that they are stuck with thier bills. Change your bills so that you manage your moeny, not having it manage you.

I can just imagine that if you owned the van, if you had money in an "emercency" account and had the option to sell or repair without having to scrap something together or borrow, you probably wouldn't be so stressed about this.

Make a plan so it doesn't happen again.

Take a fiancial class. I recommend Dave Ramey's FPU (Financial Peace University) or Crown Financial.

Talk to your spouse and make the plan together. You said you are leaving it in God's hands. I think God wants you to be a good steward of your financesso that you can enjoy your life and your money, not stress over it. That means making a plan and praying for direction.

Never borrow for another vehicle. We paid cash for our 1999 minivan two years ago. It has had some repairs, but nothing like a car payment over the same time.

Budget to the penny.

I know...more than you wanted. Sorry...you just hit a hot button for me. I am convinced that most marriage troubles and trouble in the home is linked to miscommunication and poor planning about finances. I could go on and on, but that wouldn't help. I'm just a living example that financial peace is possible. It just takes a lot of work to get there. You didn't get into debt quickly and it is rarely a quick trip out. With sacrifice and determination, you can get out.

Good luck and God bless.