Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Nothing to do with bowhunting.....But I gotta vent!

Old 09-20-2007, 07:02 AM

Default RE: Nothing to do with bowhunting.....But I gotta vent!

ORIGINAL: Mikey S.

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Ok, I have had enough of this POS van of mine.....I'm pretty sure we just blew the head in it tonight.......
what happened to it? did it overheat? how many miles on it?
It's got a couple things going on. Yes, it overheats, and has water running down the block. It's got 150,000 miles on it, and my first thought was head gasket. No water in the oil......It runs like CRAP at idle.....it sounds like a big block that's overstroked.....BUT, IF you can get it started, and running down the road, it runs perfectly fine. It only runs bad at idle. At idle, the front end shakes, but again, when going down the road it fine. The temp gauge goes up and down at random, so I thought MAYBE the sensor, because the low coolant light comes on as well......Then it overheats, so it's not a sensor.......So I thought thermastat, but that doesn't explain the water running down the block....

So, I think possibly water coming out the back of the water pump.....that would account for the fluctuating temp and low coolant light, and would explain the water down the outside of the block.....But it doesn't explain why it runs poorly.......I just don't know...
Old 09-20-2007, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just a guess but I am thinking a intake gasket. That may account for it running bad at idle but fine at road speed. Good luck with yer grocery getter mobow. LOL
Old 09-20-2007, 10:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Mobow, I also have three kids, gotta either have a van which we do or an suv with third row which im looking at.I had several makes of vans over the years,with probs with them, and now have the Toyota scienna, its simply an awesome van, well built. Ok people go ahead and bash me about the Toyota, in one side and out the other [8D] just a recommendation.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:02 PM

ORIGINAL: iowabob85

Just a guess but I am thinking a intake gasket. That may account for it running bad at idle but fine at road speed. Good luck with yer grocery getter mobow. LOL
We just replaced the intake gasket a few months ago, though I suppose it's possible they messed it up.....

I'm kind of leaning toward a head gasket, but we'll see......I've left it in God's hands....
Old 09-20-2007, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get a Dodge or Chrysler with a lifetime warranty and you wont have to worry about it.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Check the freeze plugs forthe waterleakage. 150,000 miles[&:]and 2 years left to pay on it[&:][&:]. How old is this beast and how many mileswere on it when you bought it?
Old 09-20-2007, 06:55 PM

everybody i know that has had a mini van has had nothin but trouble,get rid of it
Old 09-20-2007, 11:58 PM

I'm no mechanic but it sounds like a freeze plug or the water pump. Both will leak fluid down the side of the motor. Both can be a pain in the a-- also to repair. This might not be all your problems but its a start.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:49 AM
Typical Buck

Ok, I have had enough of this POS van of mine.....I'm pretty sure we just blew the head in it tonight.......
It's got a couple things going on. Yes, it overheats, and has water running down the block. It's got 150,000 miles on it, and my first thought was head gasket. No water in the oil......It runs like CRAP at idle.....it sounds like a big block that's overstroked.....BUT, IF you can get it started, and running down the road, it runs perfectly fine. It only runs bad at idle. At idle, the front end shakes, but again, when going down the road it fine. The temp gauge goes up and down at random, so I thought MAYBE the sensor, because the low coolant light comes on as well......Then it overheats, so it's not a sensor.......So I thought thermastat, but that doesn't explain the water running down the block....

So, I think possibly water coming out the back of the water pump.....that would account for the fluctuating temp and low coolant light, and would explain the water down the outside of the block.....But it doesn't explain why it runs poorly.......I just don't know...
wow man Im kind of having similar problems as you- except I dont drive a minivan, lol.I drive a 96 Camaro with 60k on it. Here recently it's been getting very hot, running crappy at idle...almost like its just about to die...the RPMs will kinda bounce up and down and almost feels like its not completely fuel injected or something.

I filled the antifreeze in it multiple times and after about a day she's running hot again. So Ill refill it, get another day, and then shes running hot again. But like you said, runs GREAT going down the road. No problems at all, but once Im done driving and I park it, while its idling it almost gets to where it wants to shut off because the RPMs go low and then pick back up. Of course the cooling fans kick on as well.

Obviously it has to be leaking somewhere but I just can't see where. The way Chevy put the Camaro motors so far back into the car you can't hardly see anything. Oh well...we'll get it worked out I guess.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:14 AM
Typical Buck

Is the water leaking out near where the pump mounts to the block? a possibility is that it got hot, cooked the gasket, and possibly warped the cylinder enough to allow water to seap into the combustion chamber, causing it to idle poorly. at 150,000 miles though, anything is possible man!

Quick Reply: Nothing to do with bowhunting.....But I gotta vent!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.