Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question about honey locust trees

Old 09-19-2007, 07:54 PM

Default Question about honey locust trees

I recently got permission to hunt a farm and I found two of these trees on an island. It's on a strip of land about forty yards wide and just seems like it will be a perfect spot. I have never hunted over them and wanted to know about what time of year they start to drop and if any of you guys have had any luck with them?
Old 09-19-2007, 08:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Question about honey locust trees

I have read deer love the seeds in the locust pods. I've seen no evidence of this in my area, where there's adecent sizegrove of them.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

huh...didnt know deer ate the seed pods...maybe the ones i have around here are black locust...yep just looked it up and looks like that mine are black locusts...

from what i read honey locust seed pods generally drop from sept-oct and are sweet and cattle etc eat them...so deer should...

someone here may know more...or you can do some goggling...
Old 09-19-2007, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have a grove of these trees on my farm and have seen no sign of the deer lovin' these trees. I'm not saying they don't or wont just havent seen it yet.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mauser06

huh...didnt know deer ate the seed pods...maybe the ones i have around here are black locust...yep just looked it up and looks like that mine are black locusts...

from what i read honey locust seed pods generally drop from sept-oct and are sweet and cattle etc eat them...so deer should...

someone here may know more...or you can do some goggling...
I said the seeds in the pods, not the pods.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:25 PM

two years ago i hunted a honey locust orchard the deer never ate them,i thought right there what a joke.THEN ONE MORNING ITS LIKE EVERY DEER IN THE WOODS DECIDED THATS THERE FOOD OF CHOICE.FOR THE NEXT 3 WEEKS MY UNCLE AND I SEEN DEER EVERY NIGHT AND WE KILLED 5 DOES A 7 AND A 8 POINT THERE,THE DEER DIDNT EAT THESE UNTIL THE BEANS AND CORN WERE BASICALLY ALL GONE,THEY HAMMERED THE HONEY LOCUSTS INTHE FIRST 3 WEEKS OF NOVEMBER ,I AM DEFINETLY A BELEIVER IN THEM.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:32 PM
Typical Buck

In my area the deer will and do eat them.I don't think they are a preferred food source but after the acorns are gone they will flock to them.I also think it may be like some food plots that the deer won't eat untill after a good frost and the plants start to sugar before the deer eat them,I don't know this for a fact but this might be the reason that one day they will walk right over them then the next day they are pigging out on them.Maybe some of you really smart guys can confirm or deny this.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:37 PM
Fork Horn

They eat them when its been a wet year and the pods and the seeds get sweet. If its been a dry year they're a little bitter for them and the deer will leave them alone.
they mostly eat them after the other food sources are drying up or they make it like a 'dessert' tree.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've always heard the deer eat em from an old, successful deer hunter, but haven't seen a lot
of evidence. I agree that it is probably not in their first tier of foods, but I believe the old timers.

We have some and I actually was going to pay attention to a big one. It's just between beans (not
this year), food plots and oak trees, I've never keyed in on them. Just watch out for your boots
and your four wheeler tires!
Old 09-21-2007, 07:13 AM
Typical Buck

In certain parts of SC guys rather hunt over Hunter Locust trees than anything. They swear that the trees are better than anything else we have in the state. I've never seen one in the woods in my part of SC.