Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Humbled by the HNI Community....

Old 09-19-2007, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Humbled by the HNI Community....

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Mike.....

Nope. I saw him last year on 9/12.....then I didn't se ehim again until the day after Thanksgiving. Right now....if I were him....I'd be eating beans!

When they get on the acorns.....I'll stand a chance. Until then.....I think my buck sightings will be REALLY sparse. I've seen 2 velvet 6-pointers, so far. That doe, this morning.....was the most beautiful deer I've ever seen
Jeff,
I know exactly what you mean. That is the most beautiful one to see. Last year, I posted a story on here and was ripped up pretty good (or good attempts were made at ripping me up would probably be a better phrase), but it didn’t bother me. Because I knew what had happened, and I knew what it meant.
I don’t remember for sure but my story was posted in either a thread to do with head shots, or the bad snow storm that took place up in the north east last winter. Never-the-less my story was about a small doe that I shot with a rifle in shot-gun only territory. It is a story about me breaking the law, and some could not see past that small detail. But I appreciated that little doe that I shot illegally with a rifle more than any other buck I’ve killed with any other weapon, including my bow. You see, I needed that one; it was the holidays and we were trapped far from home, in a terrible snow/hail/sleet/ice storm with no power for a long time, with no end in sight. Roads blocked with downed trees for miles. Weather and news reports were bleak. No word on when power would be restored and the food was getting really low. The few houses that were near by, got together and started trying to figure out a plan for meals, and conserving food. I was a young father of a one-month-old little boy whose mother was nursing him, and now having her food rationed, so I did what I had to do. I did my job, as a hunter, father and friend; I broke the law and killed a little doe. I didn’t travel to this area to hunt and I only brought my new 30-06 to show it to my wife’s uncle who is also a hunter, since it was my Christmas gift that year.
I thanked mother earth and shed a few tears that day. I was truly humbled, and I thanked that little doe many times over for what she’d given us. Everyone there knew what I’d done and didn’t speak a word of if. There was an abnormal respectful silence thing taking place. I guess I’m not a creative enough writer to get the feeling across, but I’m actually glad it happened. I know I have some crazy ideas when it comes to hunting and use some crazy tactics, but that experience changed the way I feel about taking the life of another creature and what that sacrifice means. I have a respect for them that I would not have gained if this chain of events didn’t take place.
I’m glad you got your doe Jeff. And I wish you luck with the rest of your season.
KP

Old 09-19-2007, 02:22 PM
Dominant Buck

KP...

I'm an ethical hunter....but a more ethical father.

I did my job, as a hunter, father and friend; I broke the law and killed a little doe
Nothing unethical about that (in your situation), to me. You did what any MAN....HAS to do. I'd go beyond the law for my family....and I don't care who knows it.

Respect.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:27 PM
Fork Horn

yeah, i dont post much, but i read alot on here and I love to learn and hear what everyone says. it seems like everyone is really supportive usually. even though i dont post much, it feels like i know you all!
Old 09-19-2007, 02:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Rob out!
Heeeeeeeyyyyy.....he stole my line.

Steveoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...Out
Old 09-19-2007, 02:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Not getting sappy...(OK...maybe a little).....but.....

If I never shoot another whitetail.....I'll remember this day/last nightfor the rest of my life. I'm getting ready to go home .....and I get to tell my son the good news. THAT is awesome.

Thanks, again, to ALL.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:46 PM
Typical Buck

[/align]Thanks for the stories GMMATT. I have followed yourstories and loved every minute of them. Failure is just a part of the game. If we never failed ; we would never learn from our mistakes. Thanks for sharing this time in your life with us. Chip
Old 09-19-2007, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wasnot here to participate yesterday because I was away on business.I would have liked to offer support and encouragement.I am glad you had the opportunity to take the animal you took and am also glad that you were able to recover it.
Everybody here knows your mind set and the way you approach hunting with sincere intention.The painful experiences shape us more than any positive experience ever could.I am sorry these things have happened to you but I know that going forward they will make you more complete as a hunter.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:07 PM

I AM ALSO NEW HERE BUT THIS WEBSITE IS AWESOME.I HAVE BARELY USED A COMPUTER ,INFACT I HATED THEM UNTIL I FOUND THIS SITE.NOW I CANT WAIT TO GET ON THIS WEBSITE,I ALREADY FEEL THE COMMRODERY{SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING}HERE AND I SURE I WILL BE A MEMBER OF THIS UNTIL IM GONE.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have only been on this site for like ten days and this story with GMMATT truly shows what type of men and women are participating in each others lives. I don't know about anyone else, but it gives me hope in the future of this country knowing that there are still solid people out there. Thanks, can't wait to be a part of the 07 bow season.