Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scared of coyotes?

Old 09-19-2007, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Scared of coyotes?

I am happy to hear most of you are not afraid of coyotes. I have heard alot of tall tales from hunters when theyencounter a coyote in the woods.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

They are curious varmits. Years ago when I was in Arkansas, they would follow us if we walked to get the milk cows up. They were so used to seeing us on 4wheelers, that if we walked they would follow to see what we were up to. They would hightail it if you stopped to see what was there though.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:34 PM

Hunting in SE Texas where it really never gets cold, I would be more concerned about stepping on a cotton mouth or a timber rattler than running intoany yotes...
Old 09-19-2007, 06:44 PM

Yotes are babies!!!! I was more spookedwhen turkey hunting and having a nice gobbler walking up to me and then suddenly running into the woods.
While I was sitting there wondering why he took off, I suddenly heard panting coming up from behind me. When I turned it was two german shepard size dogs coming right toward me. I stood up to see if it might spook them but they kept coming. I took off my face mask and started calling them, you know, "Here Boy Stuff". And finally they lowered their heads and walked up. They were wild but not starving. Thank God!
Old 09-19-2007, 07:06 PM
Typical Buck

I am not scared of coyotes but I once shot a doe during muzzleloader season across a creek I was hunting and saw her go down in the weeds,i could still see her partially on the ground.I knew she was dead so i sat awhile longer,and not seeing anything else went to get the boat so i could recover her.I was gone maybe an hour and when I got on the bank on the other side of the creek i went to the spot where I thought she was,now I left my gun because i didn,t want to get it wet or muddy.well,when i get to the spot where she should be there's no deer.Now at this time I am looking down on the ground to try and find my lost deer when I notice what looks like a drag trail and when I follow the drag trail with my eyes I spot a coyote tugging on my deer tyring to drag her away from me.I holler and jump at the yote and it runs off.then i think what the hell,what if it had been a pack of them bastards.anyway thought yall might find that interesting.they are pretty bad around here,if you shoot a deer and don,t find it at night all you will find the next day is a carcass.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not scared of coyotes. I was just a little un-nervedone early morning during bow season... I was quietly walking to my treestand up in the mountains, in the dark, and heard the high pitched yip of a coyote. It was just one of those things... I know it probably saw me before I saw it, and it heard me too.

Anyway, I carry my Para Ordnance .45 ACP with me from time to time when I bowhunt (it's legal here in VA when you have a CWP). To me, it's not a big deal.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

im only 16 and im smart enough on how to kill a coyote bare handed and im not afraid. even though i grew up around trapping animals. plus they wont attack unless they feel threatened