Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

BigJ12 is out of here forever

Old 09-20-2007, 02:29 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: BigJ12 is out of here forever

ORIGINAL: tsoc

Thanks John,
Of course you have to be careful about what's said.I should have used better sense than to ask you a question like that.It just really bothered me to see how hard a couple of these busted up players have it,with the Union seemingly not giving them the time of day.
Please don't respond to this.
The older x-players I feel for because they didn't make much money compared to todays players. I don't have much pity for the younger ones and you wouldn't either if you knew just how much money they make. I'm not talking abouttheir contracts either. (although that is a lot these days).With a good agent an average NFL player can make a boat load ofcash in otherways, speaking engagements, endorsements, major brand sponsors, etc...

Don't feel too bad, most of the time they are in that situation due to poor money management. There are exceptions of course.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

You make a good point John.With the money that many of these guys are pulling down with the right planning they should be set,unfortunately there are probably a lot of guy's who blow through it with no thoughts of looking that far into the future.
I have the most sympathy for the older players who never made the big dollars and have to deal with the disabling injuries or illness's.
There was a great story about an interview with Joe Dimaggio many years ago,he was asked about what he would be worth given his accomplishments in the era of free agency.He said "Mr.Steinbrenner you and I are about to become partners".
Old 09-20-2007, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

[quote]ORIGINAL: GregH

At least get a good safety harness, just in case!
[/quote

No kidding BigJ, the last time you fell out the tree it caused a tsunami in Idonisia.