Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Sighting

Old 09-18-2007, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Sighting

Pins are @ 25,40,50,60

I practice from 50 & 60 and hunt from 40 in.
I have never shot a deer over 25 yards way
Old 09-18-2007, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: G_O_N

so if you start sighting in your bow, do you start at 10 yrds and if you are hitting it perfectly or good then you move up to 20?
you go to the furthest distance you are confortably shooting good groups, then double it! Shooting outside your comfort zone (provided it is safe and you have a good backstop) is the #1 quickest way to improve your groups. Start shooting at 40 yards. You will suddenly realise that 20 is easy!

you are 'shaking' at 20? what do you mean? its normal to drift around a bit, no one is rock solid for even 5 seconds strait, but do you mean to say you are experiancing something that you dont at 10 yards? --just confused.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Target, out to 60 however I only have a 50 max on this Viper Sight.

Hunting, out to 45 without question.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Hunting, out to 45 without question.
X2 at least for whitetail. Elk, caribou, and other larger game I will stretch that out a little more, but conditions have to be perfect for shots of that range and they rarely are.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:55 PM

i always use my rangefider,i am very accurate at 45 yards,that is my comfortable distance,ive shot so much at 40-45 it feels like 20
Old 09-18-2007, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

ok so lets just say that this is my first year hunting with a bow,(i've hunted with rifle and crossbow but not bow) so my hunting scenario is I found the food the trail to it so I plan to put my stand infront of the falling acorns about 20ft high but the trail is not even 10 yards infront of me so is it ok that for now to practice at 20 yrds?
Old 09-18-2007, 08:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: G_O_N

ok so lets just say that this is my first year hunting with a bow,(i've hunted with rifle and crossbow but not bow) so my hunting scenario is I found the food the trail to it so I plan to put my stand infront of the falling acorns about 20ft high but the trail is not even 10 yards infront of me so is it ok that for now to practice at 20 yrds?
Yes, practice at 20 yards, it's the most common distance. 20 yard practice will make 10 yards seem easy. Know your limitations and respect those limitations when the real deal happens.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:08 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks rob, now sorry i ask so many questions but wondering whats the disadvantage of a blind?
Old 09-18-2007, 08:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Don't apologize for asking questions. That's what we're all here for.

Blinds disadvantages, hmmm

Perhaps scent, disadvantage for visual (how much terrain you can see compared to a treestand), shot opportunities (not in correct window) and can spook deer if not put out ahead of time for them to customize themselves with it.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:30 PM
Fork Horn

Ah I see,well my season is starting here october 1st, no rut yet here, what would you use to attract a buck or doe?

Quick Reply: Sighting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.