Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buying Land Options

Old 09-18-2007, 07:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Buying Land Options

I know this was asked back in the summer. But I want to revisit it.

For those of youwho have bought land for strictly hunting. What is the best option for financing. What type of insurance do you have to carry.

I'm "looking" at a 29 acre parcel of vacant land..(has a garage as the only building on the property) 2 ponds. The price is more than fair and it borders some wonderful public property.

However as you working guys know, with 3 kids, a new house, cars, etc..extra money isn't just laying around waiting to be spent. I'm just wondering if there are options I'm not thinking of. Any info would be helpful...Thanks
Old 09-18-2007, 07:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Buying Land Options

Is the owner going to finance? You can't mortgage vacant land.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

A home equity loan will work sometimes. Here in PA vacant land is not easy. Thirty to thirty five percent down and the rest in 5 years.

Got any timber? Firewood? oil or gas leases? Are you getting the mineral rights?

Do what ever it takes you will never regret it. Look at it as a new truck payment.
Your kids will have a place to camp & fish safely.

You can always put a blue vest on and stand at Wal-Marts front door saying "Have a nice day" for some extra cash.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Open a business if you don’t have one. One that needs a garage and a pond! Incorporate and buy the land through the business.

I’m guessing it is zoned agricultural. If so, there are a number of approved businesses you can run out of it. Well you can in Virginia anyway. I’m sure your area is similar. Probably would be worth the extra $150 or so to talk to an attorney for an hour or so.

Good luck,

KP
Old 09-18-2007, 08:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

I know this was asked back in the summer. But I want to revisit it.

For those of youwho have bought land for strictly hunting. What is the best option for financing. What type of insurance do you have to carry.

I'm "looking" at a 29 acre parcel of vacant land..(has a garage as the only building on the property) 2 ponds. The price is more than fair and it borders some wonderful public property.

However as you working guys know, with 3 kids, a new house, cars, etc..extra money isn't just laying around waiting to be spent. I'm just wondering if there are options I'm not thinking of. Any info would be helpful...Thanks
Well there is the old lonely lady option

All kidding aside that is how my buddy got his 40 acers. He got a plot book found great 40 acers of just nasty land. Really thick, he found it was owned by a lady in Ill. Called her made an offer(steal) and now it is his.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just my opinion, but, when I got my land, I did it all in one shot. However, between the original cost and the rediculous amount of taxes I pay on it every year, I often wonder if I would have been better off just leasing. I'd also caution you that you may have a problem keeping people off your land if it borders public land. I know I also have that problem to deal with.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Open a business if you don’t have one. One that needs a garage and a pond! Incorporate and buy the land through the business
That's a good one, but unless you have plans to build on iot a bank will not go for it. Not to mention the cost of starting a LLC etc.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:27 AM
Typical Buck

Hey Gr8 - sent you a PM
Old 09-18-2007, 10:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

And a Giant thanks BOW HNT. You guys would be amazed if you saw the effort he went to to help me and explain options..unbelievably nice..way overboard what I could have expected.

Thats why I love this place..Awesome Thanks again.!

Old 09-18-2007, 11:06 AM
Typical Buck

No problem - anytime, just glad that I could help

Quick Reply: Buying Land Options

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.