Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Favorite Broadhead for hogs?

Old 09-18-2007, 02:32 PM

Default RE: Favorite Broadhead for hogs?

ORIGINAL: buck_master_101

ORIGINAL: Red Boar

Silver Flames....

$60+ for a 3 pack!!?? thats crazy!
Really don't understand what's crazy about it. As has been noted elsewhere, the broadhead is the only piece of equipment that does that actual work...that is humanely and quickly dispatching your animal. That is done best by the sharpest, strongest and most accurate broadheads. Silver Flames, imo, are the best in each category. Considering they are not created to be "throw away" (which is what I used to do with many other broadheads after killing an animal) they are a good investment. Absolutely the sharpest edge you will find...touch them up when needed and stick them back in the quiver....I took four tough hogs with the same broadhead this summer...makes 20 bucks a great deal. Seriously, add up what you have invested in your hunting gear (bow, arrows, backpacks, quivers, releases, sights, tags/licenses, travel expenses, etc.) the broadhead is a very small fraction, and the most important. When it comes to saving money, I'll look elsewhere. Good luck this year.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:01 PM

Default RE: Favorite Broadhead for hogs?

Razorcaps on the last 5 or so, Wensel Woodsman on the 5 or so before that, and Magnus II on 5 or so before that, maybe a Magnus I on a couple between the Woodsman and the Magnus II.

Sharp broadheads, not matter which one will do the job.

Stay away from mechanicals on hogs. Some will proclaim they work, but I've seen many failures with the mechanicals used by the hunters who have hunted with me over the past 10 years. They learned the hard way. When hunting hogs, especially the big hogs, they shoot fixed blade.