Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How soon would you hunter after a kill?

Old 09-17-2007, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How soon would you hunter after a kill?

Just curious to see how soon would you hunt a stand after shooting a deer out of it, could be a good buck or a doe. I know some people think once you kill a nice buck from a stand that it was the only nice one in the area.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How soon would you hunter after a kill?

last year I killed a doe out of a stand in the evening and went back the next afternoon and killed another doe.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:25 PM

The next day...for the last few years I have used the same blind as others and had no problem seeing deer.

C
Old 09-18-2007, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

As long as it is cool outside I'll just keep hunting with out changing anything. Leave the dead deer where is took its last breath. It makes for a great cover/lure scent.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:56 AM
Dominant Buck

About 10 seconds. I saw Len shoot a doe and two 8 pointers in about a 20 second span. LOL It really depends on the stand, situation and amount of fuss and stink you created. I've seen deer track a trail left by dragging a dead deer out. I generally like to give an area a rest for a few days, but under the right OR wrong circumstances it's OK to hunt immediately. We had and 8, 10 and a 12 point killed from one stand in 2 days at a Georgia hunting club. The first guy shot the 10. His brother went there that evening and shot the 12. Another fella ask to sit in it next morning and shot a big 8. It was in a little neck of brush across the point of a ridge. There were 15 scrapes in an area as big as a tennis court. Some of them were the size of the hood on your truck.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never had a problem kiiling deer out of the same stand within hours!(morning hunt-vs-evening hunt)
Old 09-18-2007, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

No problem hunting it again right away..
Old 09-18-2007, 09:05 AM

I shot a eight point on opening day here in Ohio. Took my nephew out the next day and he shot a eight that was bigger then mine out of the same spot. The deer had to walk within ten yards of gut pile that was mostly gone.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: davidmil

It really depends on the stand, situation and amount of fuss and stink you created.
I agree. I just killed that buck out of an area where there are a couple other shooters. We probably wont hunt it atleast untill friday asuming the wind is good and everything.

Several guys making a lot of noise filming/dragging that buck out of the woods probably changed things up a little bit, but hopefully things will settle back down by this weekend
Old 09-18-2007, 10:24 AM
Spike

same thing here - if it is cool enough I just usually let the dead deer lay. that happened last year, I shot a doe right off first thing in the morning - I just let her lay until I decided to head back to the house around 11am.

Quick Reply: How soon would you hunter after a kill?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.