Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thinking..aloud is it allowed..lol

Old 09-17-2007, 09:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Thinking..aloud is it allowed..lol

Anyway I was thinking this yesterday while cutting the grass..hey it's still 2 weeks till our opener..it's tough to fill the time..lol

And then I saw some of the replies on MH post so i'll ask your opinions.

I'm going to try and film (OK TAPE for purests) some of my hunts this year. My goal is a 125" or better buck. However since I'm new at taping, I was wondering.. suppose I have a lesser deer (I dunno say 100")and have awesome footage and can capture the shot. I was playing the scenerio out in my mind..It may be a trade-off. I just don't know???

I don't need anything justified..I'll do what I feel at the time..I'm just wondering does the difficulty of filming (by myself) and shooting a buck make it a fair trade?? Since I've never tried this before I'm just asking?
Old 09-17-2007, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Thinking..aloud is it allowed..lol

I think it would be. Even with two people it is still hard to get good footage of a buck and of the shot. I would give it a try, worst comes to worst you don't get the shot on camera but you getthe buck.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

The very first buck I took on film was maybe a 100" 7 point, beautiful high little rack and a wonder experience. He fed out in front of us in an alphalpha field for about 20 minutes. He'd wag his tail at my calls, look in our direction every now and again all the while my partner filmed over my shoulder, around me etc as the deer fed beyond in the field. Great footage (right Greg?) Finally I must have said the right things with the call or his belly got filled cause he marched to the edge of the field about 35 yards from me and tore up a branch. The camera couldn't see him and I couldn't shoot. I looked at my camera guy/friend and told him to grunt, twice.....at those grunts the buck turned and walked right down the field edge and I sent a shaft through him at 10 yards. Beautiful footage. (Right Greg?)

It's not the size of the animal if your doing it for yourself or most people, it's all about the footage. Shoot what you want to shoot, who do you have to answer to but yourself.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just me, but when I made an excuse to shoot a buck smaller than I originally intended, I regretted the decision a lilttle bit afterwards.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Just me, but when I made an excuse to shoot a buck smaller than I originally intended, I regretted the decision a lilttle bit afterwards.
I've done that too Rybo..that was kinda my question..How much satisfaction is in the footage?

Since I've never done that part..I just don't know
Old 09-17-2007, 09:49 AM

Actually the kill is very minimal to me. I would prefer to see great footage of a deer. See you come to full draw on him at close range and then watch the youngster walk. Every bowhunter would know that you had him, they would also respect that you held off and let the youngster walk to grow another year.

Show me footage like that and I'll be impressed.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Shato..thats food for thought..Good idea!
Old 09-17-2007, 10:33 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like a fair trade to me
Old 09-17-2007, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Filming hunts is awesome, but definitely adds an element of difficulty. The guys that can consistently do it (Potts, Miller, Lakoskys) really are working at it. I would say if a leser deer comes in but the footage is great, drill him. Even does on film are fun to watch!
Old 09-17-2007, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

Actually the kill is very minimal to me. I would prefer to see great footage of a deer. See you come to full draw on him at close range and then watch the youngster walk. Every bowhunter would know that you had him, they would also respect that you held off and let the youngster walk to grow another year.

Show me footage like that and I'll be impressed.
Kind of took the words out of my mouth!
Years ago (30 or so) I let my wife brow beat me into shooting a meat deer. I ended up shooting a buck I had passed on several times that year (does were not an option at that time) and still regret it to this day!
I dont think lowering my standards just to film one would be justified, but thats just me.
What ever you do, if your happy with it, Im happy for you.

Quick Reply: Thinking..aloud is it allowed..lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.