Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Money saving measures for hunting season

Old 10-03-2007, 04:07 PM

Default RE: Money saving measures for hunting season

Buy the cheapest Broadheads that you can find. JK
Old 10-04-2007, 06:12 PM
Fork Horn

How do you get the baking soda to dissolve completely? I have tried this and the spray nozzle gets plugged.
ORIGINAL: JoeRE

ORIGINAL: PSE_Shooter_117

Your own scent cover, huh? Could you explain how you do this? I've had the idea before but didn't even know where to start...
I use a combination of of distilled water, baking soda, and peroxide. I only use an approximate recepe, heat two gallons of the water up and dissolveone box ofbaking soda, then when it is cool add one bottle(2 cup) of peroxide--Ihave added more thanthat but itdoes not seem to make it more effective and just costs more for a tightwad like me. Keep in a cool dry envoronment, I am no chemist but it seems not to work if heated (even in ahot car) after peroxide is added. It seriously works, I take some sweaty garment,spray it down well, and when it it dry give it the sniff test...no smell! I know my nose is not a deer nose however, and they still can detect me under certain conditions.

I also use strait baking soda in my boots and as a substitute for deodorant. I keep a bottle with me at all times, I dust myself down if I break a sweat...and it it great for showing wind direction.

What I want to figure out is a way to make your own GAC spray. any ideas???? I have tried grinding up charcoal but it makes a royal mess and is only limitied in quality. Keeps plugging up the spray bottle too
Old 10-04-2007, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GRIZZLYMAN

Save up your money and buy all of your new stuff after Christmas when everything is on clearance.

Probably the best advice so far, IMO. I hit up Walmart/Kmart/Meijer in January. Gloves, hats, socks, scents, tools, treestands, climbing sticks, etc...all for at least ½ off. I've found Earth Scent spray, andEarth Scent and Doe Estrous waffers for 75¢ in late January at these places. That's $6 cheaper than right now.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:37 AM
Fork Horn

here is a good one guys my brother in law brought back on an elkhunt in colorado they told him they use unscented underarm deodorant spray on there feet. keeps your feet from sweating thus eliminating them from getting cold up here in ny .
Old 10-05-2007, 06:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

i skiped last year because i moved twice in the begining of the season thenin the middle i had a lot of stuff from the year before but lost it

camo wear calls scent i bought last dec scent elim. soap and spray well when i was cleaning out soem stuff in the basement i found a box labeld hunting stuff and my heart jumped a beat and i saved have the money i had saved up .

to save that money i loaned a few people moeny a few months ago ad said you had to pay it back before oct and i got every dime on oct 1
Old 10-05-2007, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Brenda Valentine once said to use salt in the wash, instead of scent killer. Does the same job. I also sprinkle baking soda in the dryer.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ebay, and I fletch and build my own arrows.