Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Money saving measures for hunting season

Old 10-02-2007, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Money saving measures for hunting season

Check out my signature, everything isNIP except the Bow (2 years old) I did have to make a new cable for it and reserve the string.
As a rule I do everything myself, I can screw my stuff up for a lot less than others charge to screw it up for me.
Made my own bow/hip quiver (either-or) from scrap parts.
Almost all my equipment has been modified to suit my needs.
If I had a CNC machine, I would buy nothing but raw materials.
And collect my own scents/lures from fresh kills!
Old 10-02-2007, 10:30 AM
Typical Buck

I just tell the wife a way cheaper price of what it really cost [8D]that is how I save.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PSE_Shooter_117

Your own scent cover, huh? Could you explain how you do this? I've had the idea before but didn't even know where to start...
I use a combination of of distilled water, baking soda, and peroxide. I only use an approximate recepe, heat two gallons of the water up and dissolveone box ofbaking soda, then when it is cool add one bottle(2 cup) of peroxide--Ihave added more thanthat but itdoes not seem to make it more effective and just costs more for a tightwad like me. Keep in a cool dry envoronment, I am no chemist but it seems not to work if heated (even in ahot car) after peroxide is added. It seriously works, I take some sweaty garment,spray it down well, and when it it dry give it the sniff test...no smell! I know my nose is not a deer nose however, and they still can detect me under certain conditions.

I also use strait baking soda in my boots and as a substitute for deodorant. I keep a bottle with me at all times, I dust myself down if I break a sweat...and it it great for showing wind direction.

What I want to figure out is a way to make your own GAC spray. any ideas???? I have tried grinding up charcoal but it makes a royal mess and is only limitied in quality. Keeps plugging up the spray bottle too
Old 10-02-2007, 10:37 AM

i made a batch of the home brew from the field and stream web site. I havent tried it in the field yet... kinda scared to be honest. ive still got some old cover spray from last year so ill use the home brew when i run out.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:49 AM

[8D]"Remember the Wind, and Hunt It"

Old 10-03-2007, 09:55 AM

Hey, thanks and i'm gonna have to try that soon.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Probably the best money I've ever spent on a hunting related item, and one that has saved me enough to not only pay for itself but save me even more later on, has been to invest in a lifetime hunting license. If your state offers one get it, even if you have to "put it on the plastic" and pay for it over a year.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Save up your money and buy all of your new stuff after Christmas when everything is on clearance.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:12 AM

Don't put anything on a credit card
Old 10-03-2007, 12:20 PM

JoeRE

What type of charcoal did you try to use? Most GAC that I have come across for filtering (water)and odor purposes is from coconut (sp?). Don't know if it would make any difference but may be worth looking into.

James

Quick Reply: Money saving measures for hunting season

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.