Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Uh oh...Houston we have a problem

Old 09-16-2007, 12:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Uh oh...Houston we have a problem

Don't forget to tune the arrows, any wobbles at all will plane a broadhead. I never trust the "practice" heads. What arrows? Can you spin test them and reseat the inserts?
Old 09-16-2007, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

PM one of the tuning GURUS. I don't usually have that problem. Sorry, no help.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Cougars09

I have been shooting VERY extensively lately. Got my new cam and split harness back on my bow yesterday. Got her timed, shooting bullets through paper. I'm driving tacks with field points and the Muzzy MX-3 practice head, I'm feeling good. I decide to try to shoot a regular hunting Muzzy MX-3. 20 yards, 4 inches low 3 inches left....try again, same result. Back up to 40 yards, 6 inches low, dead on left and right. My arrows spine perfectly, tearing bullets through paper. Tried it with the Predator vanes and Blazers, same result. Any recommendations? I don't want to move my sight just for broadheads. I'm still shooting alot of 3-d. For the first time in my life, I'm seriously considering a mechanical.
Funny

My ROSS shoots BH(fixed) and field points the same. I am dialed in at 50 yds
Old 09-16-2007, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Germ

ORIGINAL: Cougars09

I have been shooting VERY extensively lately. Got my new cam and split harness back on my bow yesterday. Got her timed, shooting bullets through paper. I'm driving tacks with field points and the Muzzy MX-3 practice head, I'm feeling good. I decide to try to shoot a regular hunting Muzzy MX-3. 20 yards, 4 inches low 3 inches left....try again, same result. Back up to 40 yards, 6 inches low, dead on left and right. My arrows spine perfectly, tearing bullets through paper. Tried it with the Predator vanes and Blazers, same result. Any recommendations? I don't want to move my sight just for broadheads. I'm still shooting alot of 3-d. For the first time in my life, I'm seriously considering a mechanical.
Funny

My ROSS shoots BH(fixed) and field points the same. I am dialed in at 50 yds
It's not the bow, don't worry.Even more level nock travel won'tmake a broadhead shootworse . Germ I gotrid of the 337 becauseit just didn't fit me all that well andwhen I started shooting a BT release and a T Handle, theback wall on the337 didn'tproduce a "clean" "crisp" release everytime. WE have a right handed Cardiac at the shop and I LOVE it. The back wall is the most solidI've seen on a single cam. It's quieter and more shock free than the 337 too.

Rob, they spin true, I had 2 out of the dozen of CX Maxima 250's that didn't spin well. I marked those with a sharpie. Then from there I knit picked 4 that were absolutely perfect. Those are my hunting arrows.

I guess I'll be staying a little longer at the shop Monday paper tuning and getting these buggers flying right.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rob has a point,check all the broadhead tipped arrows and see if they impact the same.

If they don't,throw out the fliers.

Then start the tuning process.

Walk back is getting the centershot set so you are not concerned with anything but where the arrows hit left and right and yes,I do mean use the 20 yard pin at 20 and 40.Make sure you check the arrows left and right impactfrom a true vertical plane.

You can hold an arrow loosely by the nock end and hold it at the top arrow and see if the arrows are in line with the hanging arrow.

Broadhead tuning will set centershot but I preferto use walk back and then group and then I will check broadheads.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

The arrows I'm using are good.

As far as walkback tuning. After I do that, how do I adjust?

I'll go see what happens.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Make small adjustment to the rest.

Forget about paper at this point.You may have a torque issue or a slight spine issue.Get the broadheads flying true and then see if the paper is showing a good tear.

If it isn't,don't worry about it.It won't keep you from killing a deer.As long as it is shooting true and consistant.

I love paper but you really need to know how to read it and understand what is going on.

Paper tuningcan lie to you,I only use it to check my tune.I usually end up with both,a tuned bow and good paper tear.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks TFOX.

I really don't think spine is an issue. I'm shooting a Maxima 250 at 62lbs, and 28.5" draw.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sometimes, things can be so simple.

Figured out what the problem was, in the process of seeing some bad flying arrows. I had forgot about some form issues. When I went to walkback tune, I made sure I followed thru and all that good stuff. 20,30,40yds, straight vertical line. Did it again, same result. I said to myself, could it be that easy? I grabbed my broadhead arrows, shot them at 40yds first. Perfect. 30yards perfect. 20yards, same thing. If anything they are hitting a TOUCH low.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:55 PM
Fork Horn

Glad you and the gurus got it figured out there cougar--maybe thats is why they "Perfect Pratice Makes Perfect"

Quick Reply: Uh oh...Houston we have a problem

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.