Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

EHD/Blue Tongue has ruined my hunting season

Old 09-15-2007, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default EHD/Blue Tongue has ruined my hunting season

I went to a couple of my favorite hunting spots in Greene Co. PA today.

I was there a few weeks ago to set up some trail cameras. I set up 3 of them and left them for one week. I got a total of 5 deer between the three cameras in 6 days. That is sad!

I drove my motorcyce over there when I set up the cameras. When I was there I did find one dead deer and could smell others.

When Riding a motorcycle you smell all kinds of things as you cruise down the road. When I was over there I could smell dead decaying "something" quite often.

Well anyway, now for today. I went over to look around and even took a few stands to put up if things looked good.........they didn't look good.

The property owner at my best spot informed me he has only seen one doe and a fawn in the last couple weeks. He has been smelling dead deer on his property and even pulled a dead 6 point out of his pond.

A neighboring farmer found 32 dead deer on his property. He said you can smell them every where when you ride down the road. He said the weird thing is..........the buzzards and crows won't eat them.

He informed me that if the Game Commission doesn't close the season or at least shorten it, he is posting his land. Apparently so are some of the other land owners he has talked to.

He said I could hunt if I wanted butthere isn't anything to hunt.

I went to another of my honey holes and found many white oak acorns on the ground. They aren't being eaten.Other years I only find a few but find lots of bits and pieces along with other sign of deer feeding. Not this year. I found very little sign.

This really sucks......Big Time!
Old 09-15-2007, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: EHD/Blue Tongue has ruined my hunting season

Holy cow that sounds serious. What a shame for the hunters and the deer.

I was talking to a friend of mine about this the other day. We decided if that ever hit the Pike County, IL area. THE LAND PRICES WOULD DROP SO FAST IT WOULD MAKE YOUR HEAD SPIN. I might be able to afford some of it then.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

thats scary....amazing how nature can be...really puts things into reality...

hope you manage to find something this season...hope the stuff dont keep spreading. low of 38 tonite...hopefully that kills off them nasty bugs(mites i believe?) pretty sure the cold is supposed to take care of them...
Old 09-15-2007, 09:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Dont feel to alone on this one, Im in the same boat. Your right you can actually drive around and smell decaying deer everywhere, pretty sad. You may have seen this already, but mabey not, i found this one the other day in a new spot i aquired for this season, and a hand full of others. All we can do is keep our chin up and hunt hard, good luck to you this season.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I believe I found one today as well.

Walked by apond on my hunting property and found the backbone and a few ribs from a deer.That was all that was left.There was some scat that looked to be coyote beside it.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

October is right around the corner and hopefully some cold weather along with it, it was 32 here last night.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:02 AM

ORIGINAL: Windwalker7

I went to a couple of my favorite hunting spots in Greene Co. PA today.

I was there a few weeks ago to set up some trail cameras. I set up 3 of them and left them for one week. I got a total of 5 deer between the three cameras in 6 days. That is sad!

I drove my motorcyce over there when I set up the cameras. When I was there I did find one dead deer and could smell others.

When Riding a motorcycle you smell all kinds of things as you cruise down the road. When I was over there I could smell dead decaying "something" quite often.

Well anyway, now for today. I went over to look around and even took a few stands to put up if things looked good.........they didn't look good.

The property owner at my best spot informed me he has only seen one doe and a fawn in the last couple weeks. He has been smelling dead deer on his property and even pulled a dead 6 point out of his pond.

A neighboring farmer found 32 dead deer on his property. He said you can smell them every where when you ride down the road. He said the weird thing is..........the buzzards and crows won't eat them.

He informed me that if the Game Commission doesn't close the season or at least shorten it, he is posting his land. Apparently so are some of the other land owners he has talked to.

He said I could hunt if I wanted butthere isn't anything to hunt.

I went to another of my honey holes and found many white oak acorns on the ground. They aren't being eaten.Other years I only find a few but find lots of bits and pieces along with other sign of deer feeding. Not this year. I found very little sign.

This really sucks......Big Time!
That's tough. I hunt Greene County myself...right around Mapletown. Not sure what's happening inthat area as my time has been pretty tight. My partner and his dad were moving some stands around down there yesterday. I'm waiting to get the report from him. I hope all is well, but I fear the worst.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just got back from Bow Hunting this morning and didn't see anything moving this morning,after climbing out of my stand I walked down and checked around the neighbors Lake and didn't see any Deer laying around then I walked back through our Ridge Field and back up to the house when I was only 50 yards from the house I noticed something light brown in color laying down the mowed path and there was a dead Fawn laying there.Man I sure hope we aren't going to loose all our Deer to this disease?

Some of our Neighbors have been finding a few dead Deer on their Farms and in their pond also,one Neighbor found 2 dead Bucks so far.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:50 PM

Here in Ohio, Gallia, Jackson, Meigs, and Lawrence counties are hit hard. Same as 4 years ago. Talked to a landowner Saturday and he found 14 deer in his pond. Hanging stands above a section of Simms Creek you could smell death all along the hollow.

Old 09-16-2007, 05:59 PM

I'm sorry to hear that you fellows are experiencing this. we don't have anything like that in georgia. but keep your heads up. i don't mean to get preachy but the good lord has a way of working these things out.

Quick Reply: EHD/Blue Tongue has ruined my hunting season

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.