Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

EHD/Blue Tongue has ruined my hunting season

Old 09-16-2007, 07:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: EHD/Blue Tongue has ruined my hunting season

What is killing these deer off? I live about 40 mi. north of NYC and we dont have anything like this affect our area.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:20 AM

FWIW, all seems to be well in the Mapletown area of Greene County where I hunt. A friend of mine lives there and they are seeing deer as usual and haven't found any dead ones lying about when scouting. I'm sure other areas are probably different, but for those of you heading in that direction, take heart and try not to worry about it too much. The disease isn't spread from deer to deer which has to help, and all deer bitten by the midges do not die although the mortality rate apparently is high. C'mon hard frost...

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/news_press_release,175689.shtml

Old 09-17-2007, 05:42 PM

Hard drought conditions coupled with water source, gnats/midges that carry the disease.

Many folks call it blue tongue which is prevelant in sheep. However it is not with whitetail. EHD is what is killing deer andhas many of the same symptoms as blue tongue. Cattle are innoculated for EHD. Some old farmers call it the circling disease also.

I've found both does and bucks dead because of the disease. Any deer healthy, sick, young or old can be effected.

It really sucks as some of the deer you'll watch on a fairly regular basis prior to EHD may not be around for the season.

All you can do is hope for the best.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:39 PM

I HAVE BEEN HUNTING GREENE CO FOR 19 YEARS AND I THINK THIS MIGHT BE THE YEAR TO FIND A NEW HUNTING SPOT AT LEAST FOR THE NEXTCOUPLE YEARS. ALL THE LOCALS I KNOW AND ALL MY BUDDIES THAT HUNT DOWN THAT WAY KEEP FINDING DEAD DEER. I'VE BEEN WATCHING MY HONEY HOLES CLOSELY AND THE DEER ARE DISAPERING FAST. CHECKING MY 2CAMERAS AFTER 6 WEEKS 36 TOTAL PICTURES. WALKED APPROX 400 YARDS ON A PIPELINE BETWEEN STAND SITES AND FOUND 2 DEAD DEER ON A RIDGE. I HAVE JUMPED BUT 4 DEER IN 4 WEEKS. NOW THEY REPORTED CASES IN FAYETTE, WE DON'T HAVE ANY DEER THERE AS IT IS. THEY SAY THAT THIS IS ALREADY THE WORST CASE EVER OF EHD. HOPEFULLYIT WILL FROST SOON. GOOD LUCK TO ALL THIS HUNTING SEASON WE'LL NEED IT.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

My area on the eastern shore has been hit real hard. gound two dead ones this weekend, and our neighbors have been finding alot. Sure does make you sad to see all the deer gettin killed off...
Old 09-18-2007, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

gotta find out the source and stop it