Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Opener Dissapointment

Old 09-15-2007, 04:38 PM

Default Opener Dissapointment

Well it was the opener in Marland today and I eagerly was up at 3:30 am to get to my utopia of 16 acres I hunt in Maryland... which buts up to a state park of 3000 acres that allows no hunting. I had deer all around me and I passed on a 5 pointer hoping something bigger would come along. After passing on at least six does I decided to climb down and do some spot and stalk. I walked back to my jeep and dropped off my climber and went back out. I spotted 4 does and a 4 pointer. I got down and crawled for at least 30 to 40 yards and after about 30 minutes on my hands and knees I finally worked my way to 20 yards from the doe I wanted to take. I was on the bottom side of the ridge and the doe was quartering away. I stood up and drove her in the shoulder. I know not the greatest shot but it should had taken her down. Now this is when I got pissed! She ran right at me with the arrow only sticking in maybe 2 inches. You ask what broadhead I was using?...I was using a mechancial Broadhead and the maker was RAGE the 2 blade version. The arrow fell out right in front of me and not one bit of blood was to be found.. I searched for 2 hours and nothing at all to track. I am not complaining about the Rage because I took and 8 pointerand a doe with them last year and they devastated each animal...In the 30 years I have been hunting this is only the second time I have ever lost an animal. I think the Rage is a great head but the quartering away shots is something I wont take again...Broadside shots only! I will make sure I have my Muzzys in my quiver which I have used since the 80's.

Also, I shoot a Mathews Switchback at 70# and a 28" draw and have had it chronoed at 274 fps., so power/kinetic energywas not the issue,bone was and my bad shot! Makes you feel like crap to lose an animal!
Old 09-15-2007, 04:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Opener Dissapointment

That doesn't sound like a disappointing first day at all, one because you got to hunting, two because you saw plenty of deer, three you got a shot off and four, I don't think you did any harm to her at all and you technically didn't hurt her. You said yourself, 2" of penetration and in the shoulder, you probably never made it into the body cavity. Chaulk one up for a misplaced shot and be happy you actually didn't lose her.

That's a pretty damn good day to me, here's what I got to do. Except for about 3 hours while my wife helped trim around our garage doors in preparation to log side it but even then I was this way.

Seriously, shake that one off. She's fine and you had a great day.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Oh, and I wanted to touch on the quartering away shot...that's a great shot to take, you just misplaced your shot.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

i would trade you in a heart beat i had three guys in street clothes walking through my woods and found out they were going to be hunting there this year..... its only 5 acres, count your blesseings good luck with the rest of your season and dont worry about that doe she will be fine.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

That must have been one tough doe to take a hit like that and run at you , I wouldn't feel to bad too bad about the shot ... sounds like like you didn't hurt too much who knows you might get another shot at her again.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

I can understand you being upset about not getting the deer[]--But shoot man look at the very bright side you got to see all them deer, make a stalk, get within bow range--And on top of all that you was able to pratice a little catch and release

Igot confidence in you they better watch out next time!!!

Old 09-15-2007, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

sounds like a good day, just dissapointing to loose a deer...

Did that cold front roll over you like a freight train this morn???
Old 09-15-2007, 07:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Great opening day it sounds like. Just a poorly placed shot. Quartering away and you hit the shoulder???? Even if it had penetrated you probably wouldn't have gotten her as you would have missed the vitals or at best knicked one lung.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:56 AM

Thanks for the words of encouragement...I gues I need to look at the glass as half full not half epmty. I am blessed with an incredible spot to hunt.
HuntingEd, yes that front came rollin in around 6:30 am.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:26 PM
Typical Buck

Theres nothing wrong with a quartering away shot! you just hit too far foward! If the shot placement was perfect she would be down, it doesnt matter what head you shoot!