Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

To mount, or not to mount?

Old 09-13-2007, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: To mount, or not to mount?

I second the opinion for european skull mounts as an option, easy, no cost, a few hours work to do it well. It is what i will probably always do.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

At $400.00 a pop, I have a lot of antler sets that I will probably never do anything with.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:40 AM
Dominant Buck

$400 won't get it done at "our" place, any more, keith

PM Me about how your season's going. We need to hunt together, soon.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dont have any mounted either, but i kind of kick my self for not getting my biggest bowkill mounted from a few ago's. I think i may get him done in the near future here, unless i get a bigger one this year
Old 09-13-2007, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Really, though.....I see me with about 2 0r 3 deer mounts......that's all.
Jeff, I am with you 100%. I currently have 3 mounted (the rest are just skull capped)and the only way I will get another one is if it is what I believe to be my true "buck of a lifetime". I don't know how many mounts I will end up with for all species, but 3 whitetails is just about right to me.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:53 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: farmcntry

At $400.00 a pop, I have a lot of antler sets that I will probably never do anything with.
Check out Sutton. He is in Pageland SC. Just off of 601. About 30mins from Monroe NC. He does the deer for probably 90% of the people that I know. Does great work and has won awards for his deer. And he is cheaper than that.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:58 AM

Shootin' a nice deer and having it mounted is kinda like this.... "I wouldn't mount her if I wasn't going to take her home with me"....... Get the point(s)?
Old 09-13-2007, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I suppose I just have to laugh a little at the thought of spending in excess of $1000 ona hunting bow (I say I have to laugh, because I have just a little over $500 in my entire set-up), then not wanting to spend $350-400 on a mount of a beautiful animal that you killed with it to preserve the memory of that hunt. I shoot a bow because I enjoy archery, but I hunt because I enjoy the challenge, the meat, AND the trophy. I have only 2 buck mounted on my wall because I've only shot 2 that I thought were worthy of that. When I get an opportunity at a nice 140+ deer, I will shoot another buck, and then I will have another nice mount to add to my "small" collection. I do however get the hides tanned from the does I kill, and I've given them to landowners, family, and kept a few for myself. They make nice decorations if you have the outdoors motif(sp?) as we have in our home.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:12 AM

OHbowhntr, while I see your point, I don't agree......What can you do w/ a deer mount other than look at it hanging on the wall?? Nothing. Yes, it's certainly there to remember the hunt and so forth, I won't take that away from it.......But I'll take PLENTY of pictures to do just that, and by skull mounting or European mounting, I'll have them to have and hold to also remember the hunt.

The bow, on the other hand.....Is inherently more useful than that. It provides HOURS of relaxation, entertainment, and will certainly kill more than one animal.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:28 AM
Banned

I shoulder mount anything above 130" and skull (Euro) mount anything smaller. As of right now, I have 2 shoulder mounts and 1 skull mount. All 8 points...

Quick Reply: To mount, or not to mount?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.