Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does w/ Fawns....Not a debate....just information

Old 09-12-2007, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Does w/ Fawns....Not a debate....just information

It has never been a problem for me, if i go into a hunt thinking im going to shoot the first doe that comes in, one comes in and an arrow is on its way, fawn in tow or not. The fawns will live and we need to reduce the doe around here.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

I have never shot a Doe early in the season, was always told that we should wait till after the main part of the rut to bring more bucks in, whether it works or not is beyond me, but i have killed does with a fawn after that, It's not my first choice but if thats all i am seeing is doe's with fawns than i will.

Rich
Old 09-12-2007, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always tell my friends, family, and just people who I let hunt my property, not to shoot does with fawns. I feel that it is just not right to take out a fawns mother...

It may be fact that fawns don't need their mother, but I'm not gonna take away a fawns guidance.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Germ
sappy feelings I shut out[:-]

Nothing wrong with choosing not to shoot any deer, your choice, I just reserve the right to crap about it
I understand and was just poking back at ya..I imagine being from Michigan, that you have to shut out emotion..at least as far as disappointment....! lol
Old 09-12-2007, 12:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

ORIGINAL: Germ
sappy feelings I shut out[:-]

Nothing wrong with choosing not to shoot any deer, your choice, I just reserve the right to crap about it
I understand and was just poking back at ya..I imagine being from Michigan, that you have to shut out emotion..at least as far as disappointment....! lol
You have no idea In my 20's I would have bought 2 new TV's already this year I have stayed away from AA city these last two weeks.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:27 PM
Dominant Buck

I have never shot a Doe early in the season, was always told that we should wait till after the main part of the rut to bring more bucks in, whether it works or not is beyond me, but i have killed does with a fawn after that, It's not my first choice but if thats all i am seeing is doe's with fawns than i will.
I can't tell anyone what to do with THEIR own situation. You may not need to take any does out of your herd. I do....which was the premise behind my original post. Do what is right for your situation....for the right reasons.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mbruizer187

Rich
It depends on your area. If you have very few does, and the surroundings have the same or more, then shooting off all your does MAY impact how many bucks come cruisign thru looking for them.

however, if you have normal amounts of deer on your land and the surrounding land, then whacking a couple does will have no effect at all on how many bucks you see.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thats probably correct. The only thing i have against it is this, because it happened to me once. I took out a Doe with two fawns trailing, for the next several days while hunting, The fawns were constantly comming by my stand bleeting, and looking for mama. It made me feel bad, so i now try and take out the lone Does, but then again i dont have the Doe population issue as you do. But this is just me!
Old 09-12-2007, 01:05 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Hm, interesting. I believe, as is supported by the biologist, that biologically there is no reason not to. The fawn is fully capable of surviving on it's own.

Now, the only thing I have, is......Who's gonna show the fawn the "habits?" What I mean is, the fawn will find food on it's own, but with the doe around, she will create in the fawn the habits of the yearly feeding and bedding grounds. Now, this is of course assuming the family group isn't in tact, and it is, in fact, just the doe and the fawn. There is, of course, the possibility of that fawn hooking up w/ another family group anyway.

Besides, when the rut nears, if the fawn is a buck fawn, the doe is gonna run him off anyway, leaving him to fend for himself.
This is my thought as well. The fawn might be able to survive on it's own food wise but what about those little lessons to stay alive? Let me give you an example...My hunting partner and I have built five bear stands through the years. Every single one of them was visited by cubs. By that I mean the cubs climbed into the stands. I don't think the cubs looked up the tree one day and decided to climb it to see what our stand was. I've always believed mama sent them up there to understand that the free food pile doesn't come for free. That is one of those life lessons that only mama can teach their young. The same is true for the fawn. Yes, it might be able to survive without mama providing it food but will it survive without those life lessons from mama? For that reason I won't shoot mama with baby. Just like I won't shoot a sow with cubs. (even though the sow coming into my stand is HUGE...so I might rethink that one) Anyway...I won't think anything ill of any of you who can and do take a doe...legally.

Happy Hunting
Reid
Old 09-12-2007, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Haven't read the whole thread so this may be a repeat: There is evidence also that orphaned buck fawns are less likely to leave their home range than buck fawns whos mother survives the hunting season. So from a selfish viewpoint taking out the doe could also insure the buck fawn sets up his home on your property. Also, complete agreement with fawns being self sustaining at this point in their life. But, like most hunting, it's a personal decision.

Quick Reply: Does w/ Fawns....Not a debate....just information

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.