Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does w/ Fawns....Not a debate....just information

Old 09-12-2007, 10:14 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Does w/ Fawns....Not a debate....just information

In terms of reducing the deer herd it is a good approach. Usually a bred yearling only produces one offspring unlike adult does that produce 2 or possibly 3 fawns.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:15 AM

Hm, interesting. I believe, as is supported by the biologist, that biologically there is no reason not to. The fawn is fully capable of surviving on it's own.

Now, the only thing I have, is......Who's gonna show the fawn the "habits?" What I mean is, the fawn will find food on it's own, but with the doe around, she will create in the fawn the habits of the yearly feeding and bedding grounds. Now, this is of course assuming the family group isn't in tact, and it is, in fact, just the doe and the fawn. There is, of course, the possibility of that fawn hooking up w/ another family group anyway.

Besides, when the rut nears, if the fawn is a buck fawn, the doe is gonna run him off anyway, leaving him to fend for himself.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mcouey

Maybe I am just cold, but I have never once considered letting a doe with fawns pass. Maybe it was also becuase then I would probably rarely if ever, be able to shoot a doe. I saw around 30 deer last night and all the adult does had twins except for 2 that had singles. Any of those moms are fair game come saturday mornign, and a few of those plump youngins aren't free of danger either. Especially if I have my longbow in hand.

I've always taken the outlook of doe "harvesting" as "shoot early and shoot often"
For me, if the fawn is not spotted and hangs around, I'll stick an arrow in it too. I have a limit of 3 antlerless deer per day in my area.
Are you inunit "L" of Tennessee?
Old 09-12-2007, 10:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

if i knowthe fawn o longer need the doe then i will take her but if she does then no i would not when i was in ky i had alot od doeswith fawn that would come right up to my backdoor I will see if i can find some of my pics

P.S sorry for any typos i bought a 10.00 walmart keyboard that sucks buttons not type it does not pace half the time so i will be getting another new keyboard ps again do not buy cheap keyboards at walmart
Old 09-12-2007, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

sorry jeff...i read it before you edited

like rybo, seeing a doe without fawns is almost rare here.

as long as they wont starve because of me, and i now know that, i dont have worries.

i just rather eat tag soup than kill a doe and have fawns out there starving because they still needed momma.

so lets just hope they are hunrgy for apples come saturday morning...i can see it now. a big 160class monster standing 10yards from me eating apples right off the tree....not a care in the world...and untouchable. i will have sweet pics of him if i have anything to do with it though...shoot him with the camera and put him on my wall

Old 09-12-2007, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Hm, interesting. I believe, as is supported by the biologist, that biologically there is no reason not to. The fawn is fully capable of surviving on it's own.

Now, the only thing I have, is......Who's gonna show the fawn the "habits?" What I mean is, the fawn will find food on it's own, but with the doe around, she will create in the fawn the habits of the yearly feeding and bedding grounds. Now, this is of course assuming the family group isn't in tact, and it is, in fact, just the doe and the fawn. There is, of course, the possibility of that fawn hooking up w/ another family group anyway.

Besides, when the rut nears, if the fawn is a buck fawn, the doe is gonna run him off anyway, leaving him to fend for himself.
Mobow, the doe doesnt need to teach the fawn where the yearly feeding or bedding grounds are. The deer feed in certain areas becasuse thats where they find food and bed in certain areas because thats where they feel warm or safe. The fawn will seek out these places because thats what they do. Just as how deer find your new food plot in the middle of the woods.

As far as the bucks not getting run enough Im not sure of the effect but I wouldnt think it has much.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

Are you in unit "L" of Tennessee?
Yes, I am.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d
I'm just a softy at heart when it comes to young'ens.
Me too!! But you got to do whats best for the herd.Those fawns and the rest of the herdmay have a better chance with more food in the winter.It should be a big plus for the youg bucks to have more food after the rut to replace all they have lost in body wght.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: gplant

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d
I'm just a softy at heart when it comes to young'ens.
Me too!! But you got to do whats best for the herd.Those fawns and the rest of the herdmay have a better chance with more food in the winter.It should be a big plus for the youg bucks to have more food after the rut to replace all they have lost in body wght.
Understood..But I'm not seeing 30+ deer a sitting..I know my area as well, and we can carry a lot more deer than we have.

Honestly I'd be more apt to shoot the young'en and eat good.. than shoot Mom..at least I would know that fawns fate was swift and involvedvery littlesufferring.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mcouey

Are you in unit "L" of Tennessee?
Yes, I am.
I huntedunit "L" last year.... in Hardeman County. I had some good luck. I really wish I could go back, but the club lost the lease.[:@]

Quick Reply: Does w/ Fawns....Not a debate....just information

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.