Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowtech "fitting" question

Old 09-12-2007, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bowtech "fitting" question

ijimmy finally someone that knows about merlin bows. I have a Merlin Storm and love it. I would like to try a Diamond though but with a wife and two kids I just can't justify putting out that kind of change.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Where the back of the arrow nock is on the string in relation to your face has very little to do with proper draw length, especially on short ATA bows. It kills me to see people talk about this on forums when 99.999999% have never been trained or even worked with a good form coach.
Hey don't blame me, Matt.....Someone else told me to check it.

My back elbow doesn't drop. I don't "think" I'm overdrawn....and the back elbow is in a straight line with my nocking point.

Do I think Im shooting well? yes. Do I know whether I'm overdrawn or not? Nope. It's why I asked the question (In case I was). Do I have confidence that I'll hit what I'm aiming at? You betcha.

BUT......

I was a solid scratch golfer in 1992 (as a PGA Teaching Professional). I drove 3.5 hours to have a man professionally fit me for a set of golf clubs. He changed everything.....loft/lie angle/swingweights/grips. I was already using forged clubs....and we altered them that day. I drove down there thinking I had a set of professional grade clubs that fit me to a "T". I drove home knowing that I THEN had that set. But how would I have known if I didn't ask?

First round back I shoot 66.....and I go to +2.6 in 6 months.

I'm confident in my bow, now. But what if it could be better???
Old 09-12-2007, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hell with the bow..Gimmee the number of the guy that fit your clubs!!!
Old 09-12-2007, 07:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Almost anyone can do it, now, GR8. Back then....club fitting was in its' infancy. I can still remember golf pros trying to statically fit a golfer for lie angle while he was in the address position. At address....I'm 1 deg flat. At impact...2 deg. upright.

Imagine my dilemmas.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Hey don't blame me, Matt.....Someone else told me to check it.
I hear you, I wasn't directing that at you though.Sometimesthough I hear some of the form feedback coming from people on the internet and just shake my head. You often hear about this reference of nock to eye, and that really has very littlebearing on yourgeometry, or anchor points.

I got a lot of bad form "advice" on the internet and it really screwed me up until I had a good coach untangle what I had "taught" myself. I guess that's why I am hesitant to share a lot of form advice on the internet......it's difficult to do properly with only pictures, and bad info can really screw someone up.

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

My back elbow doesn't drop. I don't "think" I'm overdrawn....and the back elbow is in a straight line with my nocking point.

Do I think Im shooting well? yes. Do I know whether I'm overdrawn or not? Nope. It's why I asked the question (In case I was). Do I have confidence that I'll hit what I'm aiming at? You betcha.

BUT......

I was a solid scratch golfer in 1992 (as a PGA Teaching Professional). I drove 3.5 hours to have a man professionally fit me for a set of golf clubs. He changed everything.....loft/lie angle/swingweights/grips. I was already using forged clubs....and we altered them that day. I drove down there thinking I had a set of professional grade clubs that fit me to a "T". I drove home knowing that I THEN had that set. But how would I have known if I didn't ask?

First round back I shoot 66.....and I go to +2.6 in 6 months.

I'm confident in my bow, now. But what if it could be better???
Jeff you could possibly be better, however to really get into that perfect fit, it is going to greatly depend on what you are using the bow for and in all honestly a good coach should be there to help you with this. When you were a golfer, would you have trusted the advice of a self proclaimed internet "expert" from a forum for those custom clubs? I would bet not........

Most top notch shooters are going to shoot different draw lengths for different venues. My hunting bow is about 1/2" shorter than my 3D bow. My indoor bow is about 1/8" longer than my 3D bow. When I have a 3d event coming up that I know will have lots of bad footing and angles, I will tweak my draw length shorter to accomodate it. Last year for Harrisburg I set my draw length 3/16" shorter to accomodate those nasty uphill shots. These are things a coach can help you think of and take into consideration when getting you that perfect fit that is a fine balance of how you shoot your bow. 1-2 full hour long sessionswith a good coach would really help you determine whats important to you and what conditions you typically shoot under, and then get you setup properly. It may be the best $$ you have spent on this game so far.

If you would like help to find someone in your area, let me know and I can help you find a good NFAA or NAA certified coach.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

My shop has all the modules available and they swap them out for nothing. Just a trade for them, lose one set, but gain another. I would absolutely keep the loop, more accurate and consistent. I know what you mean about shooting good and then possibly getting even better. About a month I was shooting good, and then she shop owner tore my grip apart. We changed my hand position, finger position, wrist position, lots of stuff. Now I can hit a gnat in the eye at 30 paces!I would say play around this off-season and see what you come up with!