Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cover scent or no cover scent? That is the question...

Old 09-12-2007, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cover scent or no cover scent? That is the question...

I use the Fresh Earth wafers, they are strong but thats why I keep them in my pocket as opposed to pinningthem on my shirt.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im in the middle of nothing but woods and water, Gods country i say [8D]your welcome over any time!
Bloodcreek,
Is that hills or more flatland? If it's hills, any places for sale around there? THAT's where I want to live!

Old 09-12-2007, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like to take deer droppings from other areas and smash them into the soles of my boots. It’s not a strong odor, but may cover, and may lure, and is also natural.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

we have a little of both, alot of very old strip mine ground, with umpteen pine trees mixed with hardwoods, its beautiful. come on down
ORIGINAL: LittleChief

Im in the middle of nothing but woods and water, Gods country i say [8D]your welcome over any time!
Bloodcreek,
Is that hills or more flatland? If it's hills, any places for sale around there? THAT's where I want to live!

Old 09-12-2007, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I too use fresh earth waffers, and also spray a little fox urine on the bottom of my boots.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:14 PM
Fork Horn

I keep earth scent wafers in my box but dont take them to the deer woods with me, I find it makes for a bit more subtle scent and have had good success. I am most concerned with my breath. I keep my mouth covered with a mask to keep the scent down. Anyone have any input on gumoflage or those chlorophyll pills?
Old 09-12-2007, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I put pine limbs and neddles in my totes. Only reason is every tree I hunt from is a pine.Otherwise I would go with no scent is the best scent.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:18 PM

The apple flavored gumoflauge isn't bad......Don't know how effective it is though.

I've been taking chlorophyl tablets for a couple weeks now, and I can tell you that when I get all sweaty at work, I don't stink NEARLY as bad.....
Old 09-12-2007, 01:26 PM

I've used earth scent for about 20 yearsand I think it has helped. I think if you minimize your human smell withanythingnative to your hunting areayou at least start out on the right foot.. Certainly hunting from a tree stand you probably won't generate too much exertion sweat and human scent to overpower an applied scent or non-scent...

However the type of hunting we do out west for elk and such you usually tend to be on the move up and down mountains all day and can't help but generate stink.. so your best friend and worst enemyends up being the wind and knowing how to use it.

I'm using T14 and Elk Honey this year.. take away the human scent for a while and add some really nasty smelling elk urine.. hopefully overpower the human scent that will get generated.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use frsh earth wafers and cover spray and have never been busted yet. I have had deer down wind of me under me beside me....well you get the point so I will keep using it!