Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Doing more harm than good??

Old 09-11-2007, 07:33 AM

Default RE: Doing more harm than good??

I rarely hunt if the temp is above 80 degrees.. I just have not had enough success over a 20 year period to justify stinking up the area....
Old 09-11-2007, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

GMMAT, I too live in NC and I hunted yesterday afternoon and was covered up with deer around 7:45 pm. By the time they got close enough, it was too dark to shoot. This early in the season with little pressure they'll still tend to move, although very sparingly. At least we have cooler weather coming later this week!!
Old 09-11-2007, 08:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I rarely hunt if the temp is above 80 degrees.. I just have not had enough success over a 20 year period to justify stinking up the area....
Same here. At least not anywhere close to my hone holes.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Is that slang for holes you honed down to perfection, wittled, sharpened? [8D] Now you know I couldn't resist.....lol

Same here to some degree....I do get out no matter what, when it's too hot it might be in an observation stand that still might offer possibilities. I use the time for inseason scouting but I am still out there....one never knows.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Is that slang for holes you honed down to perfection, wittled, sharpened? [8D] Now you know I couldn't resist.....lol

Same here to some degree....I do get out no matter what, when it's too hot it might be in an observation stand that still might offer possibilities. I use the time for inseason scouting but I am still out there....one never knows.
I do the same thing pretty much. It's better than sitting on the couch. I will make sure wind is perfect though, and may use it for nap time.......but I will still get out there. My first buck with a bow I shot on PA's opening day in 1995........it was almost 90 degrees when I shot him. I watched him for several hours that morning and also missed another spike buck only a few hours before I shot him.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

i have the same proplem even if it is 75 i am a big guy and sweat alot even if i am just sitting some were i plan to hunt the mornings and maybe late after noons
Old 09-11-2007, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Gmmat I shot deer in the heat and was sweating like a hog when doing it. I tried not to hunt when it was hot but then you sit at home wandering if that was the time the big boy walk by. I know i dont see many deer sometimes none when its hot out but I try.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:38 AM

It just isn't fun for me anymoreto hunt when it's hot like that. Between the sweating and the bugs it pretty much isn't worth it to me personally although I have killed deer in the heat. When I experience hot days during the season, I'll hunt the early morning period, then call it a day and do something else productive. That way I still get my hunting fix but remain fresh for late October and early November when I want to be in my stand every possible moment.

My good hunting buddy burnt himself out so bad two years ago hitting the early season real hard that by the time prime time showed up, he was just about out of gas while I was cranking right along.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I got in my stand yesterday at 3:00. It was 94 degrees. I ATV'd to a reasonable distance to keep from sweating too much arriving.....but once on stand....I was leaking like a sprinkler.

I have to think I might be doing more harm than good about right now. Trying to hunt smart.....I DID go to a spot on the outside fringes of my good areas.....but I'm thinking I need to give it a rest on the hot days. It's just not fun....and I think I'm likely doing more harm than good.

What say ye?
You and I aren't getting paid for this, so let's focus on keeping it fun. That's what I think anyways.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:06 PM

Do you have any water sources on your property? If so then that's the area I would be focused on in this heat. I was actually kind of hoping for warmer weather this weekend for the WI opener because I have a secluded water hole to hunt but since it is going to be in the 60's I will just have to hunt the acorns

Quick Reply: Doing more harm than good??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.