Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Terror in the Field: Tentacles of Death

Old 09-11-2007, 05:05 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Terror in the Field: Tentacles of Death

Greg - one of my dove fields has a hedgerow lined with multi-flora -- you learn to be very careful not to drop a bird in there. I've had to use my machete to get to a bird... nasty stuff.

Back to the hijacked part of this thread:
ORIGINAL: JoshKeller

I purposely set my stands in trees with poison - I've NEVER had it, and I've practically rolled in it.
Josh - Famous Last Words! I know several people (including my twin brother) who had given up their treasured immunity by treating poison ivy with impunity... it's not worth thumbing your nose at it...

-fsh
Old 09-11-2007, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a job for TORDON. If you don't know what it is it is a tree killer and works on almost everything that has bark on it. I am glad we don't have that stuff here in Iowa YET. At least I never have seen it.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Those things are nasty, but sometimes you have to go through them to get that "monster buck". For me that "monster buck" would be a small 8pt.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

and can you believe they used to sell and plant that stuff!?!?!? the PA game commission did alot of planting. said it was good cover for small game, which it is. but they didnt realize the stuff grows like wildfire! nast stuff.

i remember nights we would be coon hunting. one minute were walking through the woods. the next we find outselves in the middle of a giant patch of multiflora...sucked us in, chewed us up, and eventually spit us out..tore up and bloody...nasty stuff. i guess i dont complain when i toss a big rock into a patch of it and a rooster or bunny takes out but then i gotta go in there and get what i shot lol
Old 09-11-2007, 05:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Believe it or not, those thorns can be deadly.
I was pheasant hunting a few years back and had to run across a beaver damn to mark a hit bird. I lost my footing at the edge and fell into a pile of apple branch thorns. I tore my clothes up pretty good and got stabbed several times.. once in the shoulder.
A week or so later I could barlely lift my arm. My shoulder was swollen like a grapefruit and sore to the touch. Long story short, there must have been something on the thorn. I developed a massive staph infection and had to have my shoulder lanced & drained. I was out of work for a week and had a drain back attached into my shoulder.
Awful experience.
Watch out for them!
Old 09-11-2007, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't you just love when the wounds fester up and get all itchy. [:'(]
Old 09-11-2007, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Those stickers look nasty!!
Old 09-11-2007, 09:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Greg, i take it that you just fought one of these sounds like you lost.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:32 PM

Iowabob they are in Iowa atleast in my neck of the woods. The reason they are around here is because they were called natural fences. A lot of people planted them because they were too lazy to put in fences. They are hard to kill too I usually use a Tordon and Diesel mixture. I've never killed one yet with one application though.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:13 PM
Typical Buck

I know your frustration...one of the small tracts that I hunt has an understory composed of mostly multiflora rosa and hawthorn (or is hackberry?) trees (the ones with big 6-8 thorns shooting out of the trunks). We bulldozed trails through there about 5 years ago and try to spray and maintain but the sh$t just keeps coming back!! It's so irritating. But, there have been some big deer in there in years past...

Quick Reply: Terror in the Field: Tentacles of Death

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.