Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Slicks Tricked me!!

Old 09-11-2007, 04:58 AM

Default RE: Slicks Tricked me!!

You definately need a helical fletching. I used to use a straight fletch (didnt know any better) and I never could get my broadheads to fly right. Also make sure your bow is papertuned. I was having the same problem a few weeks ago with mine hitting low and right. I papertuned again (something must have moved) and now they are all dead on even at 40 yds.

Bring on the deer!

rick
Old 09-11-2007, 05:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: archer58

Absolutely... you need to have offset or helical vanesto steer any broadhead.

The Hairlessone
You definately need a helical fletching. I used to use a straight fletch (didnt know any better) and I never could get my broadheads to fly right. Also make sure your bow is papertuned. I was having the same problem a few weeks ago with mine hitting low and right. I papertuned again (something must have moved) and now they are all dead on even at 40 yds.

Bring on the deer!

rick

Neither of thesestatements are true! No helical is necessary.See the chart, check your arrows, check your shooting form, shoot other types of broadheads. If the pattern countinues check your bow over for proper tuning or take to the local proshop for a check-up.

No amount of helical left or right will fix any of the above errors..

Good luck.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Helical helps stabilize but is not necessary. Especially if you have a rest that won't accommodate a helical fletch. If the field points are grouping together and the slick tricks are grouping together at a different point of impact, its a tuning issue. Easton's Tuning Guide should help. There's a great graphic that tells you what adjustments should be made depending on where the BH's are hitting in relation to the field points. Also, there's a sticky on that "other forum" (caugh, AT) in the hunting section where a guy described how he brought his field tips and BH's together step by step.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:34 PM
Typical Buck

[/align]Wow Ogw that is a great chart.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:51 PM

I didnt mean a helical fletch would fix other tuning errors. It is just a piece of the puzzle.

rick
Old 09-11-2007, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

ORIGINAL: archer58

Absolutely... you need to have offset or helical vanesto steer any broadhead.

The Hairlessone

Bring on the deer!

rick

Neither of thesestatements are true! No helical is necessary.See the chart, check your arrows, check your shooting form, shoot other types of broadheads. If the pattern countinues check your bow over for proper tuning or take to the local proshop for a check-up.

No amount of helical left or right will fix any of the above errors..

Good luck.
110% AGREE
Old 09-11-2007, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try another type BH. If it is still shooting off, it's the bow tuning. I found I like Crimson Talon XT's better than any slicktricks or muzzysfor flightand devestatingdamage.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

[/align]I would say it is a tuning problem as well . You don't need a helical to shoot broad heads . follow eastons tuning guide and retry
Old 09-12-2007, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

My guess , fletching contact , qads are known for this . Heilical and offset fletch help by creating more drag on the back of your arrow , but some archers get by without it , its not totaly necesary , but helps by giving a "forgiving " arrow
Old 09-12-2007, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

Nice chart OGW. As long the BHs are grouping that should should solve the problem. I started shooting my BHs in the middle of the summer. Seeing the feildpoints fly one would have thought my bow was tuned perfect. The Broadheads told a diffrent story. I cant rember if they were low, high, right, or left. But using the chart will fix your problem. I'm no bow expert but it is my understanding that if your low and left you need move your rest up or you nocking point down, and the rest moved to the right.

90% of the time I dont hunt with fix bladed heads but I found that STs and Montecs are true fying a heads. After paper tuning and walk back tuning I use a fixed bladed head to fine tune.

Quick Reply: Slicks Tricked me!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.