Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

GT Pro Hunter VS GT XT Hunters - Any Truth to this?

Old 09-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default GT Pro Hunter VS GT XT Hunters - Any Truth to this?

I wasn't going to ask this, but I've gotta know. I was told Saturday by a shop owner that in reality, there was no difference in Gold Tip's Pro Hunters and XT Hunters other than the label. He said that Pro Hunters were "a waste of money" since they don't sort them. According to him, and I quote, "if they have an order of 1000 Pro Hunters, they but the gold Pro Hunter label on the first 1000 arrows out of the batch".This just doesn't sound like a business practice that I would expect out of one of the leaders in carbon arrows. Does this ring true or false to you?
Old 09-10-2007, 07:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: GT Pro Hunter VS GT XT Hunters - Any Truth to this?

This from GT site.

Pro Hunter
Pro Hunter shafts are guaranteed to the most consistent graphite hunting arrows in the world. Each arrow is tested to a straightness tolerance of +/-.001” and weight tolerance of one grain per dozen to make them the most accurate wrapped graphite arrow ever built. Pro Hunter shafts come standard with GT Series nock and inserts, and are available in Black or Advantage Timber finishes.

XT Hunter

The award winning XT Hunter Series arrows continue to set the standard for straightness, consistency and durability. Each dozen XT Hunter Series arrows are now laser inspected for straightness and then hand sorted for a guaranteed weigh tolerance of +/- 2 grains per dozen. XT Hunter arrows feature a straightness tolerance of +/-.003”, come standard with new GT Series nocks and inserts and are available in Black or Advantage Timber finishes.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I dont think what the "Pro Shop" guy told you is exactly accurate.

Altho I dont use either of these 2 arrows for hunting I do use the GT Ultra Light Pro'sfor target and have found the advertised specs to be spot on with only 2 arrows out of 6 dozen out of spec which GT sent me replacements.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your pro shop is telling you bad information about Gold Tip. I'd love to know the name of the shop that told you this.........

The Pro's are definitely sorted differently and have better weight tolerances and straightness tolerances.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ausie-guy

I dont think what the "Pro Shop" guy told you is exactly accurate.
You know, I'm still new to bow-hunting, but I'm becoming used to second-guessing what the shop owners HERE say.

SHOP 1
I was told that 29" 5575's are spined okay to shoot 125 grain broadheads out of a 70 pound bow when, according to GT's chart, they're underspined at 70#/29" for 100 grains.

I was told that deer will jump the arrow if youuse feathers. Iset my digital camera right in front of my target and shot MPEGs of me shooting feathers at 10, 20 and 30 yards. Every time,the first thing I heard was the thwack of the arrow hitting. (Okay, it sounded more like shthwack.)

I was told that G5 Montecsranked #2 in broadheads shot that resulted inun-recovered deer. Well, that's not what I hear from folks who shoot them.

I was told that speed was everything. Bull****.

SHOP 2

I was told that Mathews customer service was terrible and that's why he didn't have anything to do with them anymore. Double bull****, and I won't go back there.

Why can't I live close to Buellhunter or Len in Maryland????
Or Rick James???

ORIGINAL: Rick James

Your pro shop is telling you bad information about Gold Tip. I'd love to know the name of the shop that told you this.........

The Pro's are definitely sorted differently and have better weight tolerances and straightness tolerances.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:00 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

I wasn't going to ask this, but I've gotta know. I was told Saturday by a shop owner that in reality, there was no difference in Gold Tip's Pro Hunters and XT Hunters other than the label. He said that Pro Hunters were "a waste of money" since they don't sort them. According to him, and I quote, "if they have an order of 1000 Pro Hunters, they but the gold Pro Hunter label on the first 1000 arrows out of the batch".This just doesn't sound like a business practice that I would expect out of one of the leaders in carbon arrows. Does this ring true or false to you?
I tend to believe it.I personally saw a certain proshop owner in MDunwrapped right before us brand new pack of goldtips pro shafts, and over half the arrows have wobble so bad, I wouldn't put a broadhead on.He not only did this once in front of me, but twice. And others on here saw it.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

I tend to believe it.I personally saw a certain proshop owner in MDunwrapped right before us brand new pack of goldtips pro shafts, and over half the arrows have wobble so bad, I wouldn't put a broadhead on.He not only did this once in front of me, but twice. And others on here saw it.
It's unfortunate, but I guess bad batches leak out though and Len must have gotten a couple at once. Hopefully he called up GT and took advantage of their open return policy though, they are great about this.

I can tell you out of the pro series arrows I have (I have owned probably 10+ dozen over the last 2 years) I have averaged 1-2 arrows per dozen that I would consider a cull arrow for practice only. For a pure carbon, I have found their tolerances pretty good.

Now their CAA's are simply outstanding.........I ordered 3x dozen of those now and got a bakers dozen in 2 of the packages. Out of those 38 arrows, every one of them spun acceptable for me in terms of use with broadheads, and only one was more than a full grain off weight wise. That's what I am hunting with this year..........CAA 350's.