Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ground Blind Users-I have??

Old 09-11-2007, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ground Blind Users-I have??

ORIGINAL: bassman417

I dont know about everyone elses experience with the mesh, but I threw it away as soon as I opened the box. Just because it says "shoot thru" doesnt mean you should. Ask youself this, If a buck was standing in grass up to his shoulders and you were hunting on the ground, would you take the shot? I think the grass would have less resistance than the mesh, but still, any contact with an arrow in flight may and most likely WILL cause deflection. Im not bashing anyone by any means, this is just my opinion. I personally have never had any deer spook due to the "black hole affect" caused by no mesh. Just remember that if you decide to shoot with no mesh, wear black. Camo will look pert-near white on a solid black background and then the deer may spook. Hope this helps and good luck with your descision.
That is kinda what I was thinking too after shooting thru it. I just would not have the confidence in my shot, shooting thru the mesh. I think I will try it without the mesh, and see what happens. If they spook I might put it back in.

Thanks
Old 09-11-2007, 11:29 PM
Fork Horn

a spooked deer is better then a wounded deer any day. dont use it.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:08 AM
Typical Buck

I have a couple of the cheap ground blinds. I do not shoot through the mesh either. I rely on the black backround for cover.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hope you aren't shooting your Rage heads through that mesh. If so, they are probably opening when hitting the mesh. I have tuned my bow to get slick tricks and Rages hitting the same spot specifically so I have a fixed blade head for blind mesh. I hunted out of the blind a LOT last year and the deer are definitely skittish with the mesh down. I brushed the blind in, was wearing all black, spraying down every hour with scent killer, and definitely downwind of the deer and they were still very cautious around the blind. Turkeys are a different story, they didn't seem to care at all about the blind........but the deer didn't seem to like it. I will be hunting from a ground blind again this year, with mesh in the windows for the whitetails.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

John,

I have net off, I just do not want to chance it, I want to screw up on my own
Old 09-12-2007, 06:08 AM
Fork Horn

I have hunted out of a ground blind a few times and never have had a problem with deer spooking due to the black hole effect either. one thing to do is make sure that when you brush it in you leave a little over hang of the brush into the window so it offsets the gap so to say