Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting the edge of fields?

Old 09-09-2007, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default Bowhunting the edge of fields?

I have a stand set up onea little corn field surrounded by trees except for the crossing going through the creek to get to the field. I was wondering if I should keep the stand there or try to find a spot in the trees somewhere. The field is about 60ydsX400yds. The crossing comes from a huge cornfield that has country roads going by it so I was thinking maybe the deer would stay out of the big field that they could possibly get shot at and hide out in this little field to eat. Thanks!!
Old 09-09-2007, 08:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Bowhunting the edge of fields?

Without seeing a topo etc we'd have no way of telling but your spot sounds good. ?
Old 09-09-2007, 08:19 PM
Fork Horn

Yah I didnt know if there was a place on internet that would give you arial views of land or not. I figuredI would have to just get one from the landowner.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

http://www.flashearth.com/

http://maps.yahoo.com/

and others.

Check out this thread. http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2306716
Old 09-09-2007, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would agree with Rob, depends on the topo of the land. I love hunting feild edges especially in the early season. Its been very productive for me the last 5 or so years, but I put alot of time into pre scouting, glassing my feilds from 300 yards+ away so I can pattern the bucks or does I want to hunt.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:43 PM
Fork Horn

I found a place on the internet where i can get a good arial image of my land but Im not for sure how to post it on here so you guys can view it.
Thanks!!
Old 09-10-2007, 09:49 PM
Fork Horn

Here are instructions I got from ron3775. Hope they help !

ok so you find the pic of the map you want, hit ctrl and prnt scrn at the same time. Then open up your paint program (start / accessories/ paint). Once opened, go to edit at the top and click paste. the whole web page will post. From there, use the dotted box to edit out the things you don't want. (after selecting them, hit delete to remove it. When you have to all cleaned up, select the map area that you want and move it to the top right of paint. When you have it relocated, save it as a jpeg file. Then if you have microsoft powerpoint you can draw lines to show special things. Don't worry about bothering me, that is what we are here for. Some can help you with tuning your bow, others can help you with other things. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to pm me. If you need any more info feel free to ask.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:20 PM
Fork Horn

ok i will try doing that. Thanks!
Old 09-11-2007, 01:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

From my expiriences the edge of Agriculture fields are great for Doe and Young Bucks at anytime. The big Boys tend to stay away from viewable fields (via road) until a reasonable amount of darkness insures they won't be seen.

Of course throw in the Rut and you can hunt where the does will be..some big boys are more likely to slip up at that point.

My $.02