Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Target Practice.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:08 PM

Default Target Practice.

What do you guys shoot at, what do you hate? Personally i shoot The Block, does great and lasts forever, any one use a Bag? how long do they last?
Old 09-09-2007, 05:13 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Target Practice.

I can tell you my Yellow Jacket is about shot......in less than 1 full year. I'm not putting the target down......it's been used, thoroughly. I think it'll get me through this season.....but no more. It's losing it's guts right now.

Standard targets are a layered rubber target I bought at our shop (someone makes them, locally). The other is my McKenzie buck that's been through 2 seasons with field points. I will likely turn it around and get at least one more year out of this insert.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:16 PM
Bartender

My gander mountain block center area size of inner circle of plate is fried after less than a year.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

The Morrel Outdoor target is what I use.Expensive but well worth the money.

This is my target and it is 3 years old and on it's 2nd cover.I will rotate it from time to time and that helps.

Putting a roof over them will really help them last longer.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

i bought a bag at Dick's sporting goods. i wish i would bought one i could get replacement covers for. the stuffing never goes bad...the outside will though.

mine has tough ridgid sides and stands on its own..i wrapped it in burlap and stapled it to the sided and it got me more life...the burlap got shot out so i found some silt fencing, pretty much same material, just thinner as what the bag cover is made from and wrapped it real tight about 5x, stapling each layer to the sides...

still goin strong..need to rotate the silt fencing around or put new stuff on though. the stuffing wont go bad..just that cover. buy one that you can get replacement covers with and id say youd have a target that will last forever...

only downside is fieldpoints only.

i got countless shots into my bag. i know its over 3000. wont shoot out fast at all if you shoot all the different spots. i usually shot the center, just because i dont wanna dig arrows out of my hay bale backstop if id pull one that badly
Old 09-09-2007, 05:56 PM

i'll tell you which one not to buy and that's the "4x4" from wal-mart. not the block 4x4 but walmarts knockoff. i picked one up today and half of my energy for shooting was burned up trying to pull arrows from it.28$ is tempting but i wouldn't recommend it!
Old 09-09-2007, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the "BLOCK", and it works great for me.I also use a cheap deer target. I got it for $20.00 at a garage sale.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a yellow jacket b-head target and love it! Shoot ata buddies cheap wal mart bag target that is 5yrs old I think and it works great as well.
I do not like cheap foam targets from wal-mart(dont last long at all)
I do not like "The Block" too messy for my likes!