Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Taxidermy Tip......Preseason

Old 09-04-2007, 06:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Taxidermy Tip......Preseason

Don't take this the worng way.....I'm NO expert. That why I'm posting this. When I picked up mymount, yesterday.....he told me he had JUST enough cape to do the job.....when it came to the front legs.

I had 2 guys I "thought" were knowledgeable......giving me directions....but they both cut out long before I got to the front legs. I'll explain what my taxi told me as best I can.....BUT.....I suggest ANYONE wanting to have a deer mounted go and talk to a taxidermist before they begin the caping process. ANYONE with experience chime in.....and please correct me if I'm saying something wrong. Please.

The procedure my taxi told me......(in relation to the front legs)....was to cut the deer's legs off at the "knee"....and to basically "peel" the hide right through (roll it back and off the leg). I didn't do that.....and it almost cost my taxi some extra work (and me a nice mount). I gave him PLENTY of cape on the back (the whole hide). He appreciated that.....saying he could always throw it away.....but he couldn't make more. I wrapped the entire cape over the buck's head.....folded it up......and double bagged it. I also got it to the taxi in record time (1 day frozen)....so that he could assess the situation early.

If you're going to be spending that kind of money.....and you want it done right......don't be afraid to do your "interviewing" for your taxi, early. It might save you BOTH some hard feelings and it might make THE difference in your mount.

Good luck to all, this year.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:27 AM
Bartender

Default RE: Taxidermy Tip......Preseason

Jeff I always have the Taxidermy gent do this for me even though I was shown this in the past.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:26 AM

I cut at the knee and then follow the inside of the leg up and back towards the stomach. Always keeping in mind what a finished mount looks like. I've never had any problems.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Good stuff, DC......my taxi just said that cutting that inside leg portion was unnecessary. I'll try it that way if I ever go that route, again.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

I always impress my taxi, the only cut in my deers hide is to gut it (be careful not to cut too deep into the chest cavity) and around the rear legs/ham. I cape the hide down over the chest leaving the front legs in tact and only cut them off after I have the hide down to the joint...he always laughs and cuts them off. I look at it this way, NO HOLES. He even showed me how to cape the head if I wanted to...I'll leave that to him.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I cape from butt to nose and take them the entire hide.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:54 AM

Goodreminder GMMAT.

I also wrap my buck's head with a towel to prevent freezer burn.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

This is certainly an area of concern, my taxi tells me of horror storys of how mounts are ruined before he even gets his hands on some. The buck of mine in the pic is an example. I normally cape my own out, and give the taxi the whole hide as Jeff mentioned. However i let a prosessing place cape this one for me, and it dam near cost me a good mount. They actually cut off a piece in the lower brisket area that was missing completly. The taxi said this was the only form pose he could use the hide on, to get the brisket area pulled enough over the form, since the head and neck were down. I will never let anyone cape mine anymore!!