Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

To all potential customers;

Old 09-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: To all potential customers;

Glad you didn't get hurt Dan, them short arrows and trigger happy bowhunters can be a mother, Did you ask the Boss about hazord duty pay?
Old 09-05-2007, 09:50 AM

Gr8, I appreciate the post. I went through after all was said and done and made sure each arrow was marked at its correct length. No messing up like that again.

Reid, I'm in Sportsman's Warehouse. Spokane, not CDA.

Sliver, I thought about taking the rest of the day off, but I was getting holiday pay. 12 hours at time and a half? I can deal with a sore wrist!

Jeff, I'll be looking into getting the store one. Even if it's got to come out of my pocket, it wil benefit the store and the customers who frequent it. Thanks for the information.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Dan:

That release is made by True-Fire. It's called a "No-Fire", appropriately.
We have at least a half dozen of these hanging out in the shop and we use them all the time. You TRU Fire rep may even send you guys one for free to use. Last time someone didn't end up using one of these........lol.......we ended up with a new hole in the Technohunt screen. Glad I wasn't responsible for that one.......lol.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:20 AM

I would probably start informing customers to put their finger "behind" the trigger. It would be nice to assume that they would but everyone isn't as smart as you and I.

Just curious, does Sportsman's Warehouse have some sort of training program for their archery tech's? I've learned quite a few things over the years (especially this year) but I'm just wondering if they have decent training.

We have one coming to our area in a couple months and I was thinking about getting a job there part time, if my main job would allow.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

As far as having my hand near someone's bow at full draw, it happens all the time. I adjust as last three peeps a day while customers are at full draw. I trust them enough to have the common sense to keep their finger behind the trigger.
Haha... no way bro. I don't trust anyone with anything when it comes to bows or guns. I've had too many close calls so similar to the one you just had to trust anyone unless they have a "no-release" on. Any gun that comes in is loaded unless the action is open and/or bolt removed. Anyone at any time could potentially loose and arrow that could really hurt or kill you. Play by those rules, all the while being cool about it and just genuinely safety conscious, and you'll never have an issue.

I wasn't hurt too bad. After the customer left I grabbed a bow from the shelf and went and shot it to make sure I could still shoot mine. Nothing major, just a bruiser wrist and a scraped knuckle.
And it could have just as easily been an arrow through your hand or arm. Glad you came out alright. Just remember not to trust anyone.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

The arrow being too short is understandable (at least on my end). We've got tubes attached to the wall of our range with several different lengths of several different brands of arrows. We use these to tune people's bows [who don't provide their own] or for people to test bows with. The arrows aren't marked, but put back into their respective tubes.

This particular arrow happened to have been placed in the incorrect tube.
Dan;

Here is a tip to keep that from happening again. I did this at my shop as well, and it has proven totally effective.

Those arrows, as you listed, are easy to confuse length wise. So what I do is take a narrow pointed sharpie pen and write the total length on one of the hen feathers. On the other, I write the total weight, with tip, as we usually leave the field points in place. That way anyone wanted to check speed, but who does not for whatever reason have an arrow can find one that is relatively close to his/her arrow weight. And it keeps everybody safe.

Just a thought.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:19 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: robbcayman

This is why I got rid of the drop away!!![:'(] Go to the WB and this wouldn't even be an issue. I'm very glad you weren't hurt.
True, you'll just have to deal with a noisy release when the fletches clear the rest
Old 09-05-2007, 11:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gr8, I appreciate the post. I went through after all was said and done and made sure each arrow was marked at its correct length. No messing up like that again.

Reid, I'm in Sportsman's Warehouse. Spokane, not CDA.

Sliver, I thought about taking the rest of the day off, but I was getting holiday pay. 12 hours at time and a half? I can deal with a sore wrist!

Jeff, I'll be looking into getting the store one. Even if it's got to come out of my pocket, it wil benefit the store and the customers who frequent it. Thanks for the information.
Get that no-fire from tru-ball, I've never been in ashopthat didn't have one, at least around here. You can "trust" your friends but not strangers!
Old 09-05-2007, 11:17 PM
Typical Buck

Well Dan I guess you quate from T.S Elliot proves correct.