Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many deer mounts would you like to have?

Old 09-03-2007, 07:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Default How many deer mounts would you like to have?

Not saying it just because I got my first mount back, today. I've been thinking about this for a while. I told my wife, today.....I have one more buck I want to have mounted.....and I might not ever kill another one (it's possible).

That might sound funny.....but it's the truth. It'll just have to be a special buck for me to take him.

I'm headed to KS, next year to hunt. If I take one, there......again....it'll have to be something special. WY in '09 is a bit diferent.....and I DO want to take a Pronghorn to have mounted.

Caveat to the above is.....I want to hunt in '08 with my longbow.....OR....unless I don't kill the buck I'm after, this year. I'll hunt him as long as I know he's alive.

I just don't see me killing bucks and not having them mounted......and I just don't see me taxi-ing a lot of deer.

Anyone else ever found themselves in this position? Did you change? I love deer hunting more now than I ever have. I just don't see me killing a buck every year. I don't have a desire to do it just to say I killed one.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many deer mounts would you like to have?

I just love taxidermy, want my walls covered with them
Old 09-03-2007, 07:33 PM

can you really have too many? i usually like to take only bigger bucks each year but it is nice to sit in my recliner and relive the hunts everyday
Old 09-03-2007, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: rankbull

I just love taxidermy, want my walls covered with them
Thats what im saying.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:47 PM
Dominant Buck

I can appreciate the fact that it doesn't necessarily have to be bigger. I need to remember that. The "journey" is sometimes greater than (or a big part of) the destination. A good story behind a specific hunt could warrant me taking a buck, I guess. Great point.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

As you know Jeff and will soon see, I have a house "for mounts"..lol I'm sure I can have "too many" but that hasn't happened yet. I have alot of walls that can hold an animal. With the strutting gobbler I have to pick up, plus the KS longbeard I took with my bow, my taxi is starting last years buck I currently will have 10. If I take the buck I want this year, that will be number 11....I want one more gobbler mount, a standing upright, I'll mount my pronghorn if I'm fortunate enough to take one so that's 13....I'll probably mount all whitetails bigger than the last or any that just mean that much because of the hunt (might be smaller than the last). I want to mount a doe, a special doe (pretty) so that's another mount. After the pronghorn hunt I want to go moose, caribou, mule deer etc hunting, if I'm fortunate to tag out, more mounts.

With my house I don't know how many is too many but I'm not there yet....and my man cave isn't done so I'll need some to fill it as well.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

man..I'm gettin all my bucks this year mounted..because I haven't killed a buck and it'ld be cool to look at them all on the wall and just remember that year! and every nice buck after that. If its a awesome hunt with a small deer I'm going to get it mounted.

This might be crazy but If I kill a button buck thinking its a doe its going on the wall....Buck is a Buck right?? lol
Old 09-03-2007, 07:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

ive killed 10 deer. 2 were bucks. neither got mounted.

figuring my first bow killed buck will be bigger than both, and my first bowkill...so im probably planning to get it mounted. after that, it'll hafta be a biggun, lots of character, or something special. but theres a place on my wall for all their antlers. unlike you, i do want to kill a buck every year. but dont have plans to have them ALL mounted...
Old 09-03-2007, 08:00 PM
Fork Horn

As many as I can fit on my walls. I only have one so far.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:01 PM

The bucks were I hunt get a free pass unless they are going to go on my wall. Right now for me it will have to be a 3 1/2 yr old buck or older. I know I won't get one every year but I feel that if he meets my criteria for harvest then he deserves a place on my wall to be honored and remembered.

Quick Reply: How many deer mounts would you like to have?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.