Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many deer mounts would you like to have?

Old 09-03-2007, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many deer mounts would you like to have?

I will only shoot a buck that I plan on having mounted. I have hunted for 16 years and have 5 mounts. Something has to catch my eye before i'll take a buck. He has to be really big or be decent with some cool character.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:48 PM
Dominant Buck

He has to be really big or be decent with some cool character.
Ray (I assume):

Another great point. My eyes are being opened just reading these.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:57 PM
Fork Horn

Im still young so Im not too picky. My first bowkill lastyear was a 100" buck. I just did a skull mount. I dont plan on shooting anything smaller with my bow. But last year I shot a little 1.5yo 8 pointer during early gun season in the CWD zone. Im almost positive if I didn't, someone else would have shot it. (but grandpa did shoot a really nice buck during gun season) Plus It had a big, infected (graze?) wound on the side. I guess it depends where and how im hunting, and how much meat is in the freezer.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:23 PM
Fork Horn

In the area that I liveanything over 100 inches is a mountable buck. I have 2 mounts a "left" facing mount(10 pt)that grossscores around 118-120 and a "right" facing mount(8 pt)that net scores 125 2/8. I only desire one more mount -a "straight" facing one. Being that it is so hard to kill a decent buck in southern NY I am going up to manitoba this yearto try my luck in getting one. These 3 bucks would then complete my "trophy" room.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:27 PM
Site Bouncer

I kinda take it as they come. I've mounted most of the bigger bucks I killed but some I haven't. One of the biggest bucks I ever killed with a bow (in college) I never mounted.I have some smaller mounts but the story behind the hunt was special. It all depends on the circumstances regarding the hunt for me to have the animalmounted or not.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:33 PM

Well, I have two on the wall now, and, at $400 a pop, that will probably be my limit until I finish graduate school. Hey,they look great, but if times get tough, I can't eat'em.(The mounts of course.)

And the ol' ladywill have veto power...again.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'll build more rooms or buy another house. I hope I have a taxidermy bill every season, but at the moment its going to take something 140+ to make it on the wall, or its going to have to be really character laiden. I'll still shoot something that doesn't get a shoulder mount, but it will still get a skull mount regardless.
Besides whitetails, I'd like an elk, pronghorn, bear, & mt. Lion. And maybe a mule deer.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:44 AM
Bartender

Every mount for me provides memories of a lifetime.
I dont have a journal but each deer mount or Picture I have
is all I need.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't look at the "inches" as a reason to get buck mounted.If it's a particularly memorable hunt,or a certain situation that Itagged a deer--that would be the deciding factor whether it get's mounted or not
Old 09-04-2007, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I deem it mountable it will get mounted.I have 5 deer mounts currently and a black bear rug.If the experience of the hunt or the size of the animal move me to mount an animal it will be mounted.If I have to hang them in relatives or friends homes thats what I will do.Fortunately I have quite a bit of wall space,in my part of the house.

Quick Reply: How many deer mounts would you like to have?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.