Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you shoot over a ladder stand shooting rail?

Old 09-02-2007, 07:39 PM

Default Do you shoot over a ladder stand shooting rail?

I always assumed this wasn't possible with a bow given the "shooting rail folds up for bowhunting" every ladderstand touts. But I got to thinking with my two man buddy stand that a camo blind all the way around would give me some extra concealment, just about three more feet in height to be exact on top of the 14 foot I am already off the ground. So I wrapped some 3d leafy camo around with cable ties and practiced drawing and shooting over the rail very successfully this weekend- even at close ranges with a little manuevering. Anyone else leave the shooting rail down on their ladderstands to help with extra concealment with a blind?
Old 09-02-2007, 07:46 PM

Default RE: Do you shoot over a ladder stand shooting rail?

I have been hunting out of my ladder without the rail...seems more unconfining...but you make a great point with the extra concealment...the only thing is, is that you may have to be concerned at times with wind..possibly blowing your fabric around too much...anything that moves could possibly attract attention to deer... when it is just myself without any extra concealment, I can control any movement coming from my stand...sounds like a great idea though if you can make sure your fabric is tied down and wont blow around in the wind....JMO
Old 09-02-2007, 08:06 PM

jkcmerg, it does move a little in the wind, but then so do all the leaves and branches around it when the wind is blowing so I am not too concerned about that. It is very quit material and die cut, or whatever you call it to give it somewhat of a 3D look. I felt so exposed without it at that low a height and I like the stand/location, which we leave up all year for gun and bow hunting.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:09 PM

let me know how you do...like I said, i have been contemplating that idea myself...good luck and hit em hard
Old 09-02-2007, 08:49 PM
Typical Buck

My shooting rail doesn't go up and I shot over it for my first deer and bowkill earlier tonight. I've got a Big Game two man with a burlap cover wrapped around and put a stand umbrella over it. Works great, at least I assume it does because it got me a deer.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just put some camo mesh on my ladder stand also and I like it a lot. I think it will really cover up a lor of movement in the stand.